Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love having a place to ask them, by the way. Really appreciate the tips, and I will be hoisting a big ugly for ya's later as proof it worked.

1. Fishing with circle hooks. Do you let the fish run with it? Some reels have a feature that allows the line to fun off as if there was no drag and you can click over when you pick up the rod. Anyone use this?

2. I have thrown out cutbait several times. White bass, middle section and head with gut pocket. No nibbles. At all. What am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
With circle hooks, I leave the reel engaged in fighting drag and let the fish hook themselves. This advise was given me by an excellent James River Guide when I first started targeting the big blue cats. I don't know why you haven't caught the hog yet other than the spawn is on and fishing is tough right now. Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With circle hooks, I leave the reel engaged in fighting drag and let the fish hook themselves. This advise was given me by an excellent James River Guide when I first started targeting the big blue cats. I don't know why you haven't caught the hog yet other than the spawn is on and fishing is tough right now. Good luck.

So you think my bait is ok? i put a bluegill on as well and nothing.

I'm not discouraged. I'm gonna get it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know alot of the people that use circle hooks leave them "locked down".........However, I use KAHLE hooks and like engaging the bait clicker feature.........Once there is no doubt the fish is running with the bait I simply flip the lever with the rod still in the holder and he's hooked! I also think the bait clicker adds an "excitement" factor to catfishing when you hear the clicker and then have to do your part to set the hook...........To me just throwing out a baited hook and waiting for the rod to stay down is no different than fishing with a trot line only its on a rod/reel. (although it is a very successful proven method) Just my opinion

As far as the fishing part goes....Just stay with it. If it weren't for the fine folks on this (and other forums) I probably would be without my first fish too! Don't worry about asking questions. Alot of knowledgeable members on this site that don't mind helping others out!

I forget are you fishing from the bank or by boat? And what waters are you fishing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know alot of the people that use circle hooks leave them "locked down".........However, I use KAHLE hooks and like engaging the bait clicker feature.........Once there is no doubt the fish is running with the bait I simply flip the lever with the rod still in the holder and he's hooked! I also think the bait clicker adds an "excitement" factor to catfishing when you hear the clicker and then have to do your part to set the hook...........To me just throwing out a baited hook and waiting for the rod to stay down is no different than fishing with a trot line only its on a rod/reel. (although it is a very successful proven method) Just my opinion

As far as the fishing part goes....Just stay with it. If it weren't for the fine folks on this (and other forums) I probably would be without my first fish too! Don't worry about asking questions. Alot of knowledgeable members on this site that don't mind helping others out!

I forget are you fishing from the bank or by boat? And what waters are you fishing?

I bank fish. I fish the Staunton river. Near Gladys VA.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I bank fish. I fish the Staunton river. Near Gladys VA.
I can't provide much info on fishing that area and you are at a disadvantage fishing from the bank since you don't have the luxury of using a depth finder to locate fish or structure and different depths. Try different holes and try throwing out as many lines as you can manage and put different baits on each rod until you see what works best.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I know the area your fishing.Theres some super hog flatheads there. Junk those circles and throw on some big kahles with some big bluegills or white perch. Walk down the bank once and awhile and look for the snags,logs, or jams and drop your line in it. If theres 1 there it will let you know. Flatheads are lazy eaters and won't necessarialy run but sit and eat so watch your rod tip if it loads up slow set the hook HARD and hold on. It will be mono e mono time you keeping him out of the logs.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I generally leave a little slack in the line, and leave the reel outa gear, set the clicker on and read a magazine, or read a book, fall asleep sometimes. If the clicker is buzzin I put the reel in gear and the fish is hooked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.