Some luck

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by artl666, May 26, 2006.

1. artl666

artl666 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    hello all i have been fishing at my local tailrace and have had some luck. during the day the water is high and fast but at night it dries up into a little pool next to the river. last weekend i caught 4 channels right around 4 pounds each. (when it was full) i caught two on chicken liver seasoned with lowrys seasoning salt and the other two on sonnys stink. i would like some tips on catching more good sized cats in this location. i will try to attatch some pics of where i have been fishing and what i caught. maybe let me know where in the pic i should set up. i currently fish on the left side where the pool meets the river and cast out about on the edge of the river. thanks and good luck all.

Attached Files:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    nice catches, where is that tailrace?

3. artl666

artl666 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    this tailrace is in north platte nebraska. the canal comes from lake maloney a few miles from town and runs by the hatchery and then dumps into the north platte river.

4. AllenM

AllenM Guest

All I can tell you is bigger bait = bigger fish. I quit using liver cause I got tired of catching 1 pound fish. I catch blue gills in the evening and use them for cut bait at night. Last summer and fall I caught a fair number of 5-7 pounders and a 14 pounder that way, but I was using cut bass too.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Looks like a good spot, any flatheads in there

6. artl666

artl666 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    one of my co workers caught a 49 pound flathead a couple years ago around this area. not exactly in the tailrace though. he let it go so it might be around there somewhere. i don't think that the water is very deep maybe 6-7feet at the most. how can i go about catching flatheads here if they are there?

7. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    artl666,

Live bait, brother. Chub, bluegill, sheephead, shad, carp, 3-lb LM bass, sucker, shiner, anything that swims. Live & kickin', cut, squashed, frozen. Try 'em all.

If you can find a feeder creek near where you're fishing, fish up some of whatever's there, using waxworms, redworms, or a small jig. Big flatheads like changes in current, like in a hole, or behind a rock or structure, or on a cut channel. Try a sliprig or threeway on the bottom with a 5/0 J-hook or a big circle hook. Hang on, and let us know how you come out.

Dennis