Some like it HOT!

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

More edible gift/party foods, this time for the the folks who like things a bit spicy.

Candied Jalapenos

1 gallon can sliced jalapenos
    4 lbs sugar
    canning jars

Drain jalapenos. Pour 4 lbs sugar over the peppers and let sit to make its own juice. Bring to a boil and cook until peppers take a candied look. Pour into jars and turn upside down to seal. Serve after 2 weeks (earlier if you can't wait). Pour desired amount over a large block of cream cheese that is at room temperature; use as a spread on Waverly wafers or similar crackers.

This next one is for the not so faint of heart. I gave a tin of these to a friend of mine whose tastebuds have already been killed by spicy stuff :smile2:, and even HE thought they were hot. He took some to his place of employment and reported back that his coworkers from south of the border loved 'em.

Smoky Nuts

1/4 cup honey
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons chipotle peppers with 1 teaspoon pepper liquid, pureed (I used chipotles in adobo sauce - that's the only ones in LIQUID that I could find.)
    1 1/2 cups pecan halves
    1 1/2 cups whole almonds
    salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring often. Stir in nuts.

Spread coated nuts in a single layer in a lightly greased 10x15 inch jellyroll pan. Bake for 20 minutes; stir and bake 10-15 more minutes. Spread warm nuts onto aluminum foil or parchment paper; separate with a fork. Lightly sprinkle with salt.

Cool before serving. Store nuts between layers of parchment paper or wax paper in an airtight container. Makes 3 1/2 cups.

Note: You can use 3 cups of any one type of nut for this recipe, if desired.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Can a candy a$$ eat them without needing a gallon of ice water?:go::go::go::go::go::go::go::go::go:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

WELL Mac.......I can eat 'em, and I think I've been called that a time or two :smile2:. Haven't had any since last year, but I don't recall it taking a whole gallon of water to quench the fire. The sugar helps, but with canned jalapenos you just never know. When they're hot they're hot; when they're not they're not :wink:. Depends on the crop I guess.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If the snot dont run it aint hot enough.

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    ain't that the truth.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm with Mark,If it dont get my nose runnin and my brow sweatin after the first bite it aint hot.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shuckins... my nose is runnin' and my brow is sweatin' just readin' this thread...:smile2:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    last time i threw a party.. we had a jalepenno pepper eating contest at my house.. this was after a day of enjoying a few beers with the buds.. needless to say...they were hot and i ate 13 of them!!!! and i can count all 13 of them to the stem both ways!!! for two days!!!!! so candied ones would just be too tempting for me, sounds good...but HOT on the POT even!!!!! sorry for the information!!!!LMAO...rollo:smile2:

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

GEES Jason, and I thought the running SNOT talk on this thread was bad enough......but it's gettin' worse :smile2:.