Some Kansas advise needed

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by DM1975, Mar 18, 2007.

1. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Hello, I have been a member here for almost a year now and have been fishing my entire life but I am from Texas and have been transplanted here by the military. I am pretty good at fishing in Texas but need some advise about Kansas. Last year I focused mainly on channels but want to lay into some yellow cats or flatheads as you guys call them. I fish alot with limb lines and trot lines. Some bank fishing but usually I reserve that for channels.

My question is what time of the year is best to start? I would be setting out lines right now in Texas but they guys around here tell me to wait till May and June. Also what seems to be a good bait for these rivers and creeks? I use perch and bluegill most of the time back home. That and worms. Also use helgimites (alder flie larvai) but have not found any around here.

Any advise would be appreciate. Thank.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Where are you in Kansas? here around Ft Riley we normally start Flathead fishing in may.The same baits you use in Tex will work here.

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I am in Fort Riley. Thanks for the advise. I am not big on fishing in lakes at all and have been trying to find some good creeks to fish in here. I fished the Republican a few times last year and did OK but nothing spectacular. I hope to do better this year.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Last summer around mid august me and a few buddies set a couple lines on a small creek that runs into milford lake. It was kind of shallow but we did suprisingly ok on it. You'd probably need a little jon boat or a flat back canoe or something like we had to get up it though. I think we ended up catching mostly 8-15 pound blues and a couple flatheads. I actually dropped my personal best, proabably a 25 pound blue, trying to get him into the boat... he rolled and the hook came out. The only bad thing about it was that during the day all we'd catch was alot of gar... but when we baited our lines just before dark, we'd get 4 or 5 blues or whatever on each line by the morning.
    If you are interested in where it is you take 82 and turn north on valleyview rd. and from there just before you get to 10th street there is a road to turn west on that I think the locals call "boot road" or something (you'll know if you are on it cause there are shoes and boots on every fence post). Keep going for a while and there will be a bridge that goes over the creek I'm talking about. Just before the bridge there is like a wildlife area or marsh or something, but you pull in there and there is an opening you can put a small boat on the creek. The only thing is its gotta be a boat that can go on a small creek (it is pretty shallow maybe 2-5 ft deep everywhere, but like I said I was suprised how well we did for a small creek). Hope this helps, and sorry it got pretty long.

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks. I know exactly where you are talking about. Mall Creek. I set lines out there on Sunday night. Caught a few small channels and a good sized bass just fishing right out of that small area. I realy need to invest in a boat, it would make life so much easier on me.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Steve, another creek you may want to try is Quimby Creek, it's on the other side of the lake. Take the Arboretum road out of Wakefield, you'll come to a bridge over the creek. I've never fished it, but it runs into Milford Lake, it's easy access too.
    Give me a call and I can give you more detailed instructions.

7. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks. I will go there this weekend. just finished tying up some trotlines so me and a few buddies are going to go string em up Friday night. Hopefully we get enough of a rain to swell the ccreeks up a bit but knowing my luck it will not start any real rain till after I get there.