Some interesting fish facts

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by splitshot, Aug 3, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Those unsightly black spots on the skin (and sometimes in the meat) of a fish are probably tiny parasites called neascus, or black grub. The black spot is actually a protective case formed around the grub by the fish's body. Don't worry-neascus is not harmful to humans and if you don't tell your dinner guests, they might think the flecks are just pepper.

What freshwater fish found in North America makes the longest spawning migration? The winner, hands down, is the American eel. The females spend most of their lives in big rivers like the Mississippi. When spawning time approaches, they swim downstream to join the males at the river mouth, then they swim to the Sargasso Sea (a portion of the North Atlantic) to spawn.

Channel cats love catalpa worms, which can be found on the leaves of catalpa trees from late spring through summer. To make a catalpa worm even more irresistible, cut off the head and then poke a matchstick through the body to turn the worm inside out. The extra scent helps cats find the bait more quickly

Some veteran bream anglers can find schools of spawning sunfish by sniffing for them. When bream such as bluegills and shellcrackers gather to spawn, milt sprayed over the females' eggs emits a strong, fishy odor. To the fisherman with a good nose, the smell is a dead giveaway. Follow the scent trail upwind until it is undetectable, then start fishing a bit downwind from there.

Ever wonder if a fish that you can see can see you, too? It can, provided you're in its “window,” which is a round area on the surface directly above the fish. The diameter of the window is about twice the fish's depth.

What's the longest anyone has fought a fish in fresh water? The record appears to be held by an angler on the Kenai River, Alaska, who reportedly fought a 100-pound-plus king salmon for more than 24 hours. He finally lost it at the net.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats some interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed.:smile2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats neat stuff to know Steve ,Thanks for sharing.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
  5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for the tips on catching fish. :cool2:
    I go for the eaters. Sometimes its hard to smell em out cause of me so I chum em up. LOL.:roll_eyes:

keep the eels. :0a30:

Salt, plenty of pepper , ( if pepper dont work a cold one will ) Tabasco , veggies, hot grease , corn meal, and a roll of toilet paper.:eek:oooh:

I think I got the recipe.:wink:

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for the info, good post:big_smile:

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Steve - Some interesting info! How would you like to be the guy who fought the King Salmon for 24 hours and lost it at the net!:crazy:

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    It is always better to catch and loose than never catch at all!! LOL :0a4:

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    fighting a fish for 24 hrs??? Man, now THAT musta worn the poor guy out.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good stuff Steve. Now that your so smart why don't you take me along to show you how to catch those fish?

11. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the info Steve

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Anytime John---anytime!!:006:

13. riverfishinfool

riverfishinfool New Member

State:
    ohio
    I ve read the story about the longest fight with the salmon. It was a heartbreaker. Quite a few people were witnessing it when after all that time he lost the fish. I bet that was won angry and tired fisherman. Think i saw the article in Field & Stream

14. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thanks for the info. it's a good read.

15. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    24 hours fighting a fish and losing him at the net ,man talk about tough luck.