Some Info on the Dillion Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Shad Man, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Pretty cool man thanks for sharing...it would sure be cool if the blue cats were as wide spread in the lakes around Ohio like they are in the south..:roll_eyes:

3. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    Got that right!! Hope all goes well and dillon becomes a hot spot for trophy blues!!

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    That's awesome, so they're being released sometime around now, and they're already from 10-12". I'm pumped, they will be literally a catchable size by next winter. I'll be there for when they grow to be bigguns, and will have my santee drift rigs ready....! Thanks for the link!

5. late nighter

late nighter New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey thanks for the video it's nice to know that some people care about our sport and would like to keep it arownd every fish i catch go's back were it came from and would like to keep it that way with every one so maby next time that fish will be better and bigger than last time it was cought.:big_smile:

6. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I watched the video and had the feeling of a proud parent watching an ultra-sound.......is this ab-normal? lol......he joey you live right down the road from the hatchery....go castnet a few hundred of them and lets stock some farm ponds....seriously though what are they gonna do with the left over fingerlings after they stock the 13,000 ?

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I just want them to be more common in the GMR.
    Would be nice to drive 5 miles from home, sit on the bank, and rip out blues. :smile2:

8. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Mortality rates on fry are very high. By the time they stock them at 10 to 12 inches they will have mortality rates pushing 90% from what they started with. Disease, cannibalism, starvation are just some of the hurdles these little guys have to face. And that's just in a hatchery setting.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very interesting man! Thanks for the great video! Hopefully they will implement some stiff regulations protecting them from harvest anglers for a few years to help promote the trophy growth! rollo

10. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    It would be bad a$$, if they would stock them so much, that they would be as comen(sp?) as channels:big_smile::big_smile::cool2:

11. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I know you have good intentions rich, but if they overstocked them it would probably stunt their growth and result in a bunch of lil bluecats. I would trust the dnr as they know more about the fishery then most anglers. My opinion is that down the road keeping a few 5-12lbers would help promote the "trophy" fishery too. Bluecats in my opinion are the best eatin cat too by far......nice mild, firm, white meat. I'll be eatin some fried bluecats w/ some hushpuppy and coleslaw for sure, and homemade tartar sauce.

My only concern is the size of the resovoir, looking at the sattelite image Dillon looks like a pretty small lake. But then again, the DNR picked Dillon out of all the other states resovoirs for a reason. Either way I'm excited, anywhere there are blues there's an opportunity to catch a 20+ lb fish. I know blues like to run up river to spawn......I bet once they're established good you will find them all the way up into Newark and as far as they want to go. Does retired to fish still come on here? I'm sure he would like to converse about the matter.......

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    The DNR's rational behind putting them in Dillon is that it has the highest shad biomass (density) levels out any reservoir in the entire state. As far as overall depth and size of the lake well I guess we will just have to set back and wait to see the results.

13. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I'm glad BassMassey brought up the size of Dillion, I personally think it is too small. That lake could easily get overrun with people chasing blues if they establish well. Another concern I have is the way they lower the water level in the fall. Will this effect winter fishing for blues? I more thing that bothers me about Dillion. With as much shad as this lake has, why are the size of the channels so average. Just my thoughts...

14. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    cats gone wild and i had a small talk on this and i agree with him
    good talkin to ya man

15. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    hey walters is that the hatchery i can see from 70 eastbound always wondered you went and stirred it up now man

16. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah its the one on I-70

17. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great news-I just hope they put a size limit so they will have a chance to get big-also a number limit-at least till they take hold and reach a sustainable amount in regards to numbers.Dillon is a great channel cat lake now,so now when someone thinks they have caught a bluecat(a male channel)in a year or so it will be a real bluecat.I'm really looking forward to this.

18. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Its hard to find a Lake in Ohio that's not drawn down every winter. That's just something that the Blues and the fisherman are going to have to deal with. The problem I see is that Blues like to move and when they open up the dam which they do all the time I think alot of them will leave the lake. This will create a nice tailwater fishery but the dam gets alot of pressure from people who can't seem to release anything. :angry::angry::angry: I have to change the subject before I get even more mad.
    As for the average channel cat size and the shad... The channel catfish mortality rates are far to low in that lake. Not trying to start anything but more fish would need to be harvested in the lake to increase the overall size of the fish. This is a tradeoff that fisheries biologists have to make. More smaller fish or less larger fish. Another problem is that even if the biologists make the regs to suit the desired fishery, without angler compliance (more or less harvest) the desired solution cannot be met.

19. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I was talking to some local guys at the spillway last Sunday and they had the same concern of the fish leaving the lake. They also did'nt think the state would manage this stocking program well. I would lke to see some regs. inforced.

20. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    well the muskingum will have blues from licking down when they make the dam jump, hopefully the will have no competiton in the lake therefore not want to leave
    yes regs should be inforced