Some Hog bellys

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Lignum, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The two oldest kids and I went out to a local lake in Northern Ky, A.J. Jolly, to try our luck. After an hour, and a lot of fun, we ended up with 10 bellys, and a few 13" channels. Something about watching my 6 year old girl cranking the handle of a zebco 33 that had me geeked all evening. :tounge_out:
    We tossed the channels back and kept the bellys.

These are on the borderline of being too big for my flathead bait size, but I will gladly use them anyways. I hook them right behind the dorsal fin spike and let them run around till they get chomped.

The question I pose to those who river fish is this: Will the way I hook the belly effect the movement and is a belly even good bait in the current? I lake fish mostly, and will be out on the Ohio Saturday evening and was curious. From what I read in the river sections, we plan to hit the logjams, and creek/stream openings. Hopefully this will produce something. Thanks for the info guys/gals. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like you have a good plan and good bait. I am figuring by your pictures you are using what I call bullhead. Flathead avoid current mostly, so the back side of logjams can be good too. If you are in slack water you can hook them behind the back fin, or through the tail. For heavy current hook them through the upper lip so their gills aren't quickly wrecked by the current pushing them forward. Good luck!

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the pics. I haven't caught any of those since I was a youngin.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve had decent sucess on them at times.If you don,t use a big sinker with them,they love to get in the woods or rocks and hide.They,re hardy but I don,t know if they,re worth the added hangups.:wink:.

5. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That is what I was curious about, I guess I will have to see if I can find a slack water area and see what happens. I have some large bluegills too, hopefully something will bite. Thanks for the info guys. :big_smile: