some help please?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by outlawtrucker, Nov 7, 2008.

1. outlawtrucker

outlawtrucker New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have been cattin for a couple of years now and really want to get serious about it. i can't be on the water all the time because i'm a truck driver but i do want to catch some big fish. actually that's not true. i would like to gain the experience needed to put my wife into some BIG fish. she generally catches em bigger than i do anyway.

anyway i'm planning on taking a vacation for a week in (god forgive me) july and was wondering where i should go. i plan on bringing the camper and i do have a boat that i can bring along.

mostly round home i throw out some jugs and catch channels in the 3-5lb range but i'm looking to step that up to 15-20lb fish or better.

if any1 has any suggestions they would be appreciated. i live in La Plata,MO.

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd love to help, but the big fish run in fear from me:smile2:

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Good luck though, and I am sure some of the local guys will chime in and set you in the right direction.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Not sure where La Plata,MO. is. Welcome to the BOC.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Rob,

Check out the Member Library real quick. That will help to provide a base plan of attack.

Then you can come back and ask specific questions geared toward a problem area.

A quick answer is to size up the bait in warmer periods and size down in cooler. Fresh cut bait will normally outperform store bought baits for size of catfish caught.

Do you fish from bank or boat?

Do you prefer rivers, lakes, or ponds?

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    you can come to pick wick hit me up .do you have a boat ?

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    The mighty Mississippi runs through Missouri. If you can afford it find a Ms River catfish guide service in that area and go on a trip with him. Big cats in that river.

7. outlawtrucker

outlawtrucker New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanx for the reply. yeah i got a 16ft john with 6hp tiller.not much but it gets around. i can't go anywhere right now with holidays and what not. am just getting options for a family vacation somewhere that we can do A LOT of fishing.fortunately the wife likes to go as much as i do she's just better at it than i am. think she goes fishing when i'm on the road? more practise?

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    in july hit me up if you wanna come to pick wick as long as its not the weakend of the 4th man every where will be packed

9. outlawtrucker

outlawtrucker New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was thinking the last week in july like the 25th to the 31st. thanks for the invite. i'll definitly keep you posted. where exactly are you?

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    whiteville tn 1 hour away from pick wick

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rob,

Welcome to the BOC/SOC from So Alabama

First of all in catching big cats you need to understand there habits,once you learn that you will pretty much have it down. Get on the library here and ck out the information there it will help you a lot. Most big fish come from rivers. in that little jon boat just be careful

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Rob, Heres a link for a Memphis Local catfishing guideservice. http://www.bigcatfishing.com/

This guy James Patterson is a catfishing legend. He's been doing his Mississippi River guideservice for 20 years now and really knows allot. He does all-day trips for about $350. A bit pricey for me but if you made a vacation out of it I'm sure it would be a Big catfish extravaganza. Check out the photo section to see the kind of fish he can put you on.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rob, you are pretty close to Longbranch Lake, Mark Twain Lake, and Brunswick (Mo. River), Dalton (Mo. River). All produce cats well over 20#. So does the Chariton River, but it is shallow, and not good access, or an ideal spot for a family vacation. Good luck when you get the chance to go. Hopefully next spring and summer, the fishing conditions will be a bit more favorable than they were this year.

14. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    pat is right his web site is how i found the boc . and he is a legand he can put you on some fish . i have fished with him he is a good guide

15. outlawtrucker

outlawtrucker New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks guys. i appreciate your help. not sure i want to pay a guide service tho.