Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys im new to this and i was wanting to know all i could about catfishing in lakes with a boat. i just turned 17 and my pops is letting me take the boat on my own. so i was wondering everything from where i should anchor. what i should see on my fish finder to find bait. and also im wanting to catch bigger fish so i want to know what is a nice reel for the bigger fish. one with the "line out alarm" on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Anthony, welcome aboard. Catfishing is addictive so good luck. Where will you be fishing? A lake or river? I fish mostly lakes and the first thing I look for is a topo map of the lake. Here is a good site that has GPS spots you can add to your fish finder if equipped.

clickhereforthelink

Go to the map of your favorite lake and view all the details of a contour map along with the great fishing information about your

Once you have studied your lake look for places where deep points meet up with shallow ledges or points. I have good luck around these places as it provides a vast vertical comfort place for big fish. They do not have to go far to feel comfortable when the weather changes. You mentioned electronics if you happen upon a spot like this I usually look for a cluster of fish which usually shows up as a "ball of bait". It looks exactly like a ball on your sonar. Look just outside of that "ball" and you may see a larger isolated slender image usually in the shape of an arch on most sonars. This is most likely a large fish following the bait "ball". The bottom line is find the baitfish "balls" and fishing is good most of the time. Use what is in your lake as bait for the big ones, shad, bluegills for flatheads are the best. If you hit channels really anything from dipbaits, stinkbaits, hotdogs you name it. If you hit the "home" button on the upper left of the page, Paul has everything you could ever imagine about catfishing outlined. Scroll to near the bottom and you can pick specific catfish categories and chime in there. All the veterans can provide you with more than you can ever imagine. This is one great site.

As far as anchoring it depends on your boat setup. Will you be fishing from the rear of the boat with rod holders or do you have some in the front. Most fish from the rear so the anhor is in the front. You do not have to worry about a fish getting tangled in that anchor line when the anchor is out of the way.

In fishing lakes also, I look for any visible structure, fallen trees, large rocks that fell from ledges, any knarly stuff. Most likely there are big fish there. Check out the sonar for bait "balls" and have at it.

The river fishing is a little more involved. I would highly suggest you get the "feel" of your boat before you tackle a river. A river is more powerfull than you can imagine.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Reels depend on your budget. You can get the Abu Garcias, Penns. I use the Shakespeare Tidewater reels, I got my at Wal Mart and I can spool a lot of line. They cast great and I have had not trouble. The last one I bought was 39.99. I load up with 20lb mono for about 20 yards then spool on 100lb TUG-OF-WAR braided line by Teamcatfish.com they have everything you could want in catfishing. I use 8 foot medium heavy rods that work well and can cast 6oz weights with no problems.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
No problem ask away we are all here to help. The line out alarm I beleive comes equipped on some reels, I think from Zebco and it does exactly that. It goes off when a fish takes the line and lights up. On the Tidewater reels they have a bait clicker that is the same thing. As the fish takes the bait you hear a clicking sound, the more louder and faster it goes the bigger the fish. Grab that pole and set the hook.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome aboard I'm new to the BOC myself..I use zebcos 888 they have line clickers I just heard mine 1/2 hr ago I like the berkly glow stick rods they glow in the dark and take aaa batteries if you forget your light to charge them up... just turn the knob on the heel pow they have a blue light built into them... I also have a some abu's on bass rods that will be converted to cat rods real soon...Good luck young man...All that really matters is you have a good time and enjoy being out on the water ... I love the water ,lake, river or ocean but hey I was a sailor back when I was 17..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.