Some fishing Quotes for ya

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by splitshot, Feb 3, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good morning, here are some fishing quotes to start your day.

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad. ~A.K. Best

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home. ~Author Unknown

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark :smile2:

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    My all time fave:

"...I fish...because it's an antisocial, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. It's a nice position, no one considers you dangerous, but very little is expected of you."

John Gierach

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    those are all good ones steve but my all time favorite was heard by my brother and myself last summer we were down on rough river fishing for stripes with our dad before going to henderson , dad and vern were in his boat and i was in mine i video taped the two of them fishing while trying to fish as well , we were useing shad about 3" long for bait they each had two rigs each when vern got a fish on and was busy fighting it when his other rod went down dad yelled out " you better learn how to fish , boy " it was great fun dad was haveing a blast .

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There's a ton of truth in them all..:big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You have the capacity to learn from your mistakes.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cant remember who said this one but I remember it from a long time back. Time spent fishing should not be deducted from a man's life

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Those are great, thanks for sharing them, lot's of truth in there aint there?

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Here's another, a classic:

Testament of a Fisherman

[SIZE=+1]<B>
    I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.
    -John Voelker (Robert Traver ) </B>[/SIZE]