Some cats are black:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Aug 31, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Was gonna put this in PythonJohns Ramblings but I can't find him to ask him. He is either shedding his skin or he is hibernating. Does anything in Florida hibernate?

My father had 4 brothers and a sister. His sister died on a Sunday afternoon at 4 months of age. My Grandmother had trimmed her fingernails that Sunday morning. Now none of us in our family will cut their nails on a Sunday. A crazy a superstition I know, but I live by it.

What are some of yours?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I put the same ammount of swipes of deodorant under each arm. If not I feel I will be leanin to one side. LOL!

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George: I know where you should put deodorant on. A lot of wipes would help. God I can't stop laughing, wheres my nitroglycerin tablets.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ummm--i must be abnormal Beetlestink, i don't have any superstitions.

5. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I have a friend who is scared to death of a black cat crossing his path. If one crosses in front of him, he turns his had around backwards. He belives it confuses the cat and the cat dont know what direction he (my friend) is going.

I'm like Steve I'm not superstitious.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hmmm......I've never been a superstitious person either. In fact, I like rebelling against the "old wives tales". But a lot of people must be. Recently at work some fellow associates of mine were using a very tall ladder immediately in front of the stockroom door. I go in and out of there a lot, and I couldn't get around it, so I walked under it several times. Everytime I did they just gasped and shook their heads. I thought it was silly :big_smile: - and nothing bad happened that day.

However, that same week I managed to knock a full length mirror down here at home, and it shattered all to pieces. Cleaned up the mess, and went back about my business. At the bottom of my staircase there's been this big heavy wooden tabletop standing on end for quite a while. It's about six feet long and three feet wide I suppose, and quite solid; one of the remaining remnants from my grandmother's kindergarten. Later that evening I headed up the stairs for bed......guess that thing must have shifted position over time, from me walking past it. I'd climbed a couple steps and BOOM. It fell on top of me, pinned me to the staircase. I was able to push it up and off (after a couple minutes of STUNNEDNESS :crazy:). I had a whoppin' knot on the crown of my head, and it was sore for a couple of weeks, in addition to my shoulder and knee. Guess if I was superstitious (or listened to doctors :wink:) I probably wouldn't have gone to sleep at that point, but I did :eek:oooh:.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well thank God I dont have to worry about one of my biggest superstitions anymore:::Meeting Up with an un deodorized BIG GEORGE!!!!!!:smile2::tounge_out::roll_eyes::big_smile::crazy:I have lived in mortal terror of one day being out fishing and accidently running into that situation.Never doubted for a second it would have fatal consequences.!!!:wink:I have notified my cousin the newspaper editor that BG does wear deoderant and that the word should be spread immediately.:big_smile:

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i am most supersticious about knives, and lucky hats, and Auburn football.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    most people in the military have superstitions at one time or another. mine is not really a supperstition, just a force of habit. when i load my magazines and put them in my mag pouches on my flak jacket, i always put them in left to right. after i put my rounds in them and i tap them 3 times to seat the rounds. after i take them out of my mag pouch to put them in my weapon, i tap them 3 more times to make sure the rounds are seated once more. when it comes to fishing, i have to wear my atlanta braves hat, the one in all of my pictures. if i dont have it, i feel naked.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    oh yea,

i refuse to come into contact with apricots. they are the most unlucky things on earth.

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I have a friend who is deathly afraid of spiders. She believes that they are always watching her and she won't kill them because she thinks the rest of them will see her actions and come after her. Thats not it. She is so afraid of aliens that she will go as far as placing blue tape over the AlienWare (the computer brand) symbol on her computer. Her first year at college her dormmates thought she was kidding and printed up a bunch of pictures of aliens. They posted them all over her room and watched as she entered. When she walked in she began to cry and curled up in a ball on the floor. To make it worse, I told her to see a psychologist for these extreme phobias. It turns out that she's afraid of being crazy...

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John i don't really have any superstitions. The only phobia i might have would be to go on a ballon ride with a couple of men dressed in drag wearing Dorathy's ruby red slippers:smile2:.

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    johnny you justy described your fishing partner!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2:

14. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Good thread John.

About fishing.
    Anyone ever heard about bad luck from having banana's in the boat? I've fished with several fisherfolks that absolutely refuse to have a banana on thier boat. <shrug>

Ones I do believe hold some element of merit, silly as they may sound;
    (these are all work related)

If the unit isn't busy, you NEVER ever ever say the "Q" word. All heck will break loose.
    If you put your scrubs on inside out, WEAR them that way. To change them after you've put them on is just asking for trouble.
    If it's a red headed patient, bring on the hemmorhagic prophylaxsis. It's probably gonna happen.
    If the patient is a nurse, RUN. They are almost always trainwrecks.

At home:
    I never kill a cricket in the house. They are supposed to be good luck.
    I've convinced my husband that it is bad luck to leave the toilet lid up. I will get a cold wet butt and he WILL get hurt.
    Knocking on wood. I just do it... habit I guess.

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Don't have much luck, so no need to worry about superstitions.

Maybe breathing is unlucky for me? :eek:oooh: Too bad. I think I will keep doing it and suffer with the consequences.

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

OH PLEASE! Tell us more of this fantasy. In mine the outfits were real tite. LOL! How about yours? LOL!

bring on the hemmorhagic prophylaxsis

Should done this before my twins were born. LOL!

17. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Other than the fear of not using up a good pair of underbritches...(oh yeah, I got holes big enough to stick a fist through:eek:oooh::crazy::wink:) I'm coming up with blanks.

But I often make the comment after something rediculously bad happens, "You know the luck of the Irish?" (whoever I'm talking to) "Yeah, why?" "It's not true..." Or, when I'm around a woman who makes a comment about luck, I'll say, "Ya know...it's lucky to rub a red-head's head. :big_smile:" Sometimes it works, and sometimes it don't...:cool2:

-Red

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont believe in old wives tales or superstitions , say friday the 13 is my lucky day ,just cause every one else thinks bad stuff happens on it.

19. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The biggest bunch of superstitious people ever have to be Oil/Gas rig workers.

Some of the major do/donts would be

Spit on the bit when starting the hole its good luck.
    Spit on the first joint of casing when running casing for good luck
    BUT Dont Spit into the hole.
    Never turn elevators,bit breakers upside down its bad luck.This one may have some merit as every hole problem we had on certain rigs the Tool Pusher would make me go and check all the bit breakers and elevators and sure enough always one upside down ..go figure..

Never bring a Cherry Pie to the rig.
    Dont wash up until your relief shows up or you may not get relief.

20. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Tanya,
    Thanks for sending me the thread.
    This is the frist time for me to see this one created by PB.
    I saw the "nail thing" somewhere else but I really do enjoy seeing what other people consider taboo or not.
    As for me I really not superstitious.
    Well..................Maybe Somewhat!
    The sun is shining and it rainning out side..........You know what that means ..........I gotta get off the puter untill it quits rainning!!!!!!!!!!!!!