Some Carp Gear and Tackle

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by twaskom, Apr 28, 2020.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Here is the rig case I use. I had cut the tag off but I think it was NGT brand. It wasn't expensive. $15 or less.

IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG

Here are the rigs I make and use.

fullsizeoutput_70a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_70c.jpeg

It shows the Gamakatsu hump back hooks (#4) I use.

Here are some essentials I think you should get to make your own rigs.

fullsizeoutput_704.jpeg

The small tools help in putting bait on and making your rigs. Cheap ones are fine.

Bobbycat, BCT, metalman and 6 others like this.
  2. cat seeker 374

cat seeker 374 Well-Known Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    That looks to be the essentials! Nice blowback rig, really well tied!

twaskom likes this.

3. MonFlatcat

MonFlatcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Beau
    What is the purpose of the black tube on the line?

4. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hi Beau, The tiny tube can do several things and can be purchased in the sinking version or not.

With this hair rig, I am using floating artificial corn. I want the corn (bait) to float 2 or 3 inches above the bottom. By having the sinking tube on as it is in the above picture, only the corn, hook and about an inch of line are lifted off the bottom. I will usually crimp a small lead on the line right at the end of the tube.

The tube will stiffen the line which will welp prevent tangles. When you cast out a method feeder with a leader and bait hanging from it the rig tend to swirl causing tangles. To help prevent that swirling action, you can bring the hook back to the method feeder and imbed it in the feeder mix. This will prevent the swirling and the hook will come loose when the feed dissolves.

I also use a very short piece of it to keep the hair rig held in place on the hook.

Bobbycat, eastforker, Ammo and 2 others like this.
  5. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    To build your hair rig, decide on the line you want to use. I have gone more and more to using light braid (20 to 30 pound) as my hair rig leader material.

First, tie the small loop on the end and work on getting the size just right. You want to get this loop thru your bait and then have a small block go thru the left over loop. The block prevents the bait from being pulled back off the loop.

Next, cut a short piece of the tube and using the small tools, pull the free end of the leader thru the tube and slide it up to the hair rig loop. paying attention to direction, push the point of the hook thru the tube so the tube will hold the leader tightly against the shank of the hook. I will usually add the corn and tie the hook on before putting the point of the hook thru the tube.

Next, take the free end of the leader and run it thru the eye of the hook, position the hook so the corn bait is about 1/4 inch away from the curved part of the hook. Then bring the loose end of the leader back down along the shaft of the hook and start making your snell type wraps. I do 6 or 7 wraps then run the leader back thru the eye. I go in the same direction you should when snelling a circle hook.

The final step is to add the tube to the line if you decide to use it, then tie your loop for attaching to a swivel.

Don't make your leaders too long. You want the bait somewhat close (8" or less) from your pack bait on the method feeder. I like about 6 inch leaders. With the sinking tube and a small sinker, that lets the corn bait float up 3 to 4 inches from the method feeder.

After you have tied a couple, is becomes simple.

Bobbycat, Ammo, typer181 and 3 others like this.
  6. gleaver

gleaver New Member

State:
    MO
    Name:
    Luke G
    This is really helpful, thanks! Looks like I need to make an order to get my components. I use Gamakatsu for bass fishing and catfishing too, so I'll stick with your recommendation as far as these hooks go too!

Do you like pre-scented artificial corn, or do you just scent them yourself?

7. MonFlatcat

MonFlatcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Beau
  8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I just scent the corn myself. I have 5 or 6 flavors but strawberry seems to be the best. I get it in a small bottle with a spray attachment but you waste too much that way. U open the lid and dip the bait.

I was lucky enough to have a bait shop in Indy that had an excellent supply of carp tackle. But the "Westside Bait Shop" went out of business. They were doing well but owned prime property. So, they sold out.

A good place to check carp tackle and gear out is at "Bug Carp Tackle"

https://www.bigcarptackle.com/?xid=T7MtEDnVkOoJuRm9cMBssfCg580ijubC

They have about everything, even if your just comparing prices.

Bobbycat, typer181 and mooseman75 like this.
  9. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    very good information Tom... It was like watching Luke from catfish and carp lol. Thanks for posting where we can get stuff as there is no where out here to get any of it. Carp are hated and despised and only a few like them occasionally for bait. I love to catch them as they give a heck of a battle. So thanks

Brackish*Water and eastforker like this.
  10. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Any time Justin.

They do put up a big fight and are generally plentiful. Maybe because there sought after so much in Europe but there is also a lot of gear sold to help take good care of them. Much of that gear could be something that could be laying around the house. Just a large garbage bag would help protect the fish while you took the hook out. Just something to keep them off the rocks and ground. If we want to keep catching large fish (of any species) we need to take care of them.

11. gleaver

gleaver New Member

State:
    MO
    Name:
    Luke G
    This is super helpful. Thanks, Tom.

Brackish*Water and twaskom like this.
  12. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    I like to use 2 hook Kentucky rig with a slip bobber almost for any fishing. For carp fishing from the bank, I just put one or both hooks with corn kernels on the bottom. A small split shot above the hook leaders pops up the bobber and provides good sensitivity. This rig works great during casting because T-knots, short hook leaders, and a sinker attached to the end of the line practically exclude line tangles.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Brackish*Water and twaskom like this.
  13. Bobbycat

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    Thanks, Tom. The addition the tiny tubes on the hook leaders is a great idea! Where could I purchase them? What is your opinion about clear silicon tubing?

14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Bobbycat likes this.
  15. Bobbycat

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
  16. Bobbycat

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    As Tom advised, I switched to the hair rig to test how it works with sweet corn kernels in my creek. For the loops, I used the dental floss. It works well. But I was not happy with stoppers. They looked big for small kernels. I tried to use the pieces of thin hard spaghetti for that. Spaghetti became softer but kept kernels well for more than 1.5 h tested in warm water. This time is more than enough for corn to be eaten by turtles in my creek.:O_o: I hope spaghetti would evoke less carp concerns compared to wood or plastic stoppers.

P.S. Just tested spaghetti stoppers in my creek. They worked great, but the problem was with fish. After several hot days, water has become warmer in the creek, and carp moved to the lake. I could get only turtles :mad1:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020