Some big channel catfish last nite.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by smith06, Jul 3, 2006.

1. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I landed one that weighed nine pounds. I snapped 15 pound line twice tryin' to set the hook. and my buddy snapped 12 pound line once. Using chicken livers. Gonna give it another go round tonite.

2. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    tks for sharin...gl next time

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Sounds like some big ole fish. Good luck with 'em tonight.

-Red

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds likr you had a great trip good luck tonight

5. wayner

wayner New Member

State:
    Utah
    What kind of line was snapped?

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish ya got there. I have never snapped the line setting the hook. I would look into it. Maybe it is old or kinked.

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Gotta work on your drag man!

8. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have handled several 6-7-8 pound channels with no problem and never touchin' the drag. These were broke while settin' the hook. I aint sure what kinda line Im usin. It is old and I know Im needin' new line.

The one my buddy hooked into was huge, fish damn near pulled him in. I knew it was goin' to snap so I told him to turn his drag down and by then It was too late. He is new to catfishin' and I'm teachin' him the little bit that I know.

9. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No luck for me tonite. Weren't bitin'. My buddy caught a 6 pound channel after being there for less than 20 minutes and noone else got a bite in 2 and 1/2 hours.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Nice fish, sounds like a good trip.

You have a problem though with that line breaking. You are either having knot problems or your line is bad. My money is on a bad knot.

I have never seen a line break when setting the hook.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hope u catch em the next time.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for Gods sakes change the line man!:waaaht::big_smile:

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I test my drags on every pole before going out.
    I set my drag so when pole is bent 45 derees from vertical te dag loosens. No matter what size lne this is my rule to use. I have to wrap line around stick to break off if hung up. even old line tested this way will usualy hold fish.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    change you rule.............change your line.............quick...........the fish are laughfing at you.

15. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Like they said - change your line!!!! Even if you have to get some cheap line from WallyWorld. Sometimes they have better line on sale, but get rid of that old stuff :eek:oooh: :crazy:

16. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'm sure your already know this but sunlight and monofilment don't mix to good. The sun's UV rays really break down mono line. Age is really not an issue if the line is kept inside out of the sunlight. However, over time and fishing in the sunlight the line breaks down and looses it's strength. Another factor is how long it's on the reel spool and how often it's used. Line is subject to all sorts of abuse while in use. Rubbing on snags, limbs, rocks, line guides and then there is the "professional over-runs" we all get from time to time. As others have said, change that line and adjust that drag. The drag is your friend, new line is insurance.