Some Advice Please

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishingabber, Jun 9, 2006.

1. catfishingabber

catfishingabber New Member

State:
    California
    ok im new to this forum and new to catfishin live in so. cal and was wondering if anybody had some advice on where to go fishing for some good cat action also im going to go fishing on sunday night to a privately owned lave what are some good tips for night fishing on that type of lake ie: bait, what types of rigs, tackle etc. etc thanks in advance for your help

Rob

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC! You'll find whatever you're looking for here. I don't know nothin' about any fishin' holes in California, and I don't usually fish lakes, but my absolute favorite rig for big cats is a 1-2 oz bank sinker and bead on your main line. Then a barrel swivel attached to a 18" leader. The hook size depends on the fish you're fishing for and the size. Generally I like to use 4/0 for channels and 6/0-8/0 for blues and flatheads. Use whatever bait that the lake has plenty of, in a shallow flat next to a deep hole with some kind of cover, and you should do fine. Good luck!

-Red

3. catfishingabber

catfishingabber New Member

State:
    California
    i should also say that the lake does not alow live bait and no boats so i do have to shore fish

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. Not from your area but think Redd's advice is good and you can't go wrong with it.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would like to extend to you a big warm "Welcome to the BOC" Rob!!!!

I don't fish lakes much at all, so I can't really be of much help on this one!!!

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    You may like to check into buying some danny kings catfish bait it will help put more cats on your stringer

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Welcome aboard to the BOC! Search the library for a world of information!

Once you become a Star member you can watch all the great videos on catfishing!

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the brotherhood ,rob ,just a fair warning this place is addictive

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try livers or stink bait.

10. pursuit

pursuit New Member

State:
    CA
    Hi, I'm also from SoCal and a newbie. I went on my second catfishing outing this year and although I'm an advid SW angler, I'm going to be spending a lot more time chasing Mr. Wisker. Although, I'm a newbie at catfishing, I did way more better than the other people on the lake. Maybe it was beginner's luck or that I found a sweet spot.

What worked really well for me and I do mean really well was my SW gear. I even made a bank rod holder from 2 of my old rod holder on my boat attached to a single 3/4"pipe and had angled at 45/135 degree around the pipe . It looks really nice and functions perfectly, way better looking than those off the market bank rod holder. I was using a Shimano Trinidad 14, and a Shimano Calcutta 400TE baitcaster. Nothing too heavy, 7 & 8' rod in the 15-25# class, Owner 1/0 Flyliner J hooks, sliding egg & swivel. I tried several baits including mackerel, stink bait, and hot dogs throughout the day and the only bait with consistency was Shrimp and mealworms. I would hook on a couple of mealworms on after the shrimp to keep the shimp from falling off during casting but still letting the hook point exposed at all times.

What I discovered was that I had to work for the fish. They bite very subtle and you basically have to set the hook as soon as you see the line moving and feel a slight tug on the line. I tried leaving a pole to see if the fish will set itself but only ended up with stolen bait and no hook up. I ended with limits for the first time and close to a 160# stringer. BTW, I stayed for 2 paying session and my biggest was a Blue that weigh close to 40#. I let this one go back into the water to fight another day. I kept Channels and Blue up to 15# a threw back countless smaller fish.

Contrary to what other people might say about using big baits resulting in bigger fish. Towards the end of my 2nd session, I was using half a shrimp and still hammering the big ones. Good luck and hope to see you out there.

11. pursuit

pursuit New Member

State:
    CA
    If you go to a private pay lake in SoCal. I would stay away from Santa Ana River Lakes. Too much weeds and marine growth for my taste. Make the drive to Hesperia Lake or Irvine Lake. I hope to be hitting the dessert for some Flathead as I have yet to catch one.