Some advice needed.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Cathunter Pete, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Hey fellow cathunters. I have a question that I'd like to ask and get some of you alls opinion. I currently have a Lowe 16ft big john, and fish the Cape Fear in the Fayetteville area primarily. I've had no issues using this boat except when the rivers up (therefore I don't go out when its up). But I'm looking at parting with my Lowe for a more comfortable and bigger boat. I'm looking at getting a 20 or 22 foot Pontoon. I would like to purchase one brand new, possibly from Chatlee. Can anybody give me any advice or feedback on Chatlee? Also what Pontoon do you all reccomend, and what features should I get for primarily fishing the Cape Fear, however I will be planning some trips to Santee Cooper once I get a Pontoon. Any advice and feedback would be great. Also just to throw this out there once I get a Pontoon I'll be selling my Lowe boat. It's a big john side console, 1996. Has a 1998 Johnson 25hp, 2 stroke motor. New hardware, tires on trailer Load Rite. I just replaced fuel tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter. Boat has fishfinder/depth finder, and is great for cattin around on the river. If anybody would be interested in buying it let me know. I would like to purchase a Pontoon in a month or less. Thank you, and good luck on the waters.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The toon sounds like a real nice fishing boat and I think you will be happy with whatever you decide. As for the other boat, the BOC now has a buy/sell/trade section in which you can post a classified with pics of your boat. This will give you a much better chance to sell it

3. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    If it were me I would check out the crestliner Pontoons, and maybe even the tritoons. Somthing around 20' plus and around a 100hp 4 stroke. My Dad had a crestliner and it was a very nice boat and well made. I have never been on a tritoon but have been told they are more stable than the pontoons. Just my opinion. :smile2: Good luck and enjoy what ever you decide on :cool2:

4. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I posted my old boat on Craigslist.com. Sold it to the first caller, and had half-dozen other callers waiting in case he didn't want it. Be sure to include pics with your post.

5. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I have a buddy that bought an 18ft jon boat from them a few years back. He never said anything bad about Chatlee or good so who knows. What he did say is that he called them one morning and told them what he wanted, that he had a cashiers check in hand and that he wanted to bring it home today and they got it ready for him.

We live near Wilmington and none of the dealers in the area could get the boat ready for him that day but Chatlee had it ready and waiting when he got there.

that is about all I know about them.

In a toon though, do you fish out of the front or the back? I know in my boat I usually fish kind of out the back so I can face the current/waves. Seems the back would be cluttered with seats and bimini tops etc, might be better to fish out the front since the orientation is a little different. In that case it might be better to get one of those that has the two seats outside of the fence on the front. I know basspro sells one of those.

6. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I haven't fished out of a pontoon on the river yet. With my big john I fish sideways with an anchor out the bow, and one of the stearn. However I don't think this would be a good way with a toon? The Cape Fear when running at normal levels in the Fayetteville area there is no waves or anything. I guess I would fish out of the back with poles in holders running off both sides. Do you think I could anchor the boat say on a 45 degree angle with anchors off of the bow and stearn? That would allow me to fish pretty much around the entire boat. If anybody has any feedback on Chatlee whether its good or not, I would greatly appreciate it. This is going to my first big purchase on a boat, I just want to make sure that I get a good deal and a quality boat that will hopefully last me a lifetime. Thanks guys, and good luck fishing.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I don't know any thing about a Chatlee. I have a 21' Sun Tracker. I like it real well. I have a 60hp MERC. Big Foot on it. I fish in lakes all the time so when I anchor it is different than in a river. The only thing I would change on mine is the bench seat along the sides.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Just fish right off the back. On a pontoon that'll be plenty of room to fish 8 or 10 rods which is about all you're gonna get to fish in the river with all the current.

9. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I would love to have a pontoon boat. It would be the ultimate fishing/family boat. I'd worry about how deep it sat in the water though...how deep do they sit?

10. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Well I guess I will jump in and tell you what I know about Chatlee. My father bought a used pontoon from them and it has been great. I know a couple of other guys that have purchased boats from there and are happy. They have a large selection and they are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch. I have been in the store a few times and they are very helpful. Also, I live in Sanford. One day me and a buddy were driving up US1 north to take the pontoon boat out on Jordan lake. I blew out a tire on the highway and called chatlee. Those guys came to where I was and helped me replace the tire on the side of the road. So I guess you could say I am a big fan of theirs. Now about their prices? Beats me brother. Like I said, I have been there but never to buy a boat.:embarassed: The pictures you have seen of there shop are accurate. They have a testing pond they put in a few years back so you can test drive a boat right there on site. i say check em out.

Brian "BEAR" Lantz:smile2: