Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,572 Posts
It seems like an awesome idea to me. A few billion dollar accident cleaned up with hay lol.

I'm sure there is already someone lobbying the politicians to pass laws about how the cleanup is done so they can exploit it.

· Registered
2,295 Posts
Well Gary ya know most of the time the simple is overlooked because of the bottom line.
What is the saddest part of this is....... a opinion or a curious george of sort.---> Why is it that it has not been 3 months since Our almighty President signed that we can start drilling for oil again when this spill happened. Funny how strange that is. But we as Americans really truly do not know the whole story about nearly anything anymore....
Way, i figure it is that we need to take every single thing for face value..........and believe it is interupted as the media does it. For the best story not the true to form total fact.

· Registered
2,612 Posts
yes it does work I worked in the oil patch in the early 80's and we had a small spill someone shot holes in a tank and it got into the river we used hay to clean it up .we put chicken wire across the river it was only about 100' wide the hay stopped there and so did the oil but it was only 300 bbls of oil not millions

· Registered
1,536 Posts
The prob with this solution is that once totally saturated the hay will sink. My wifes company is currently working with BP on a great solution. They have a product that adsorbs the oil and will continue to float so that is can be removed from the water. After that it will be spread and covered with a second product that will dramatically speed biodegradation.

· Registered
514 Posts
I've always been a believer that sometimes the best solutions are the simplest. This is a prime example of that. Will it happen? I doubt it because of all the political hoops, but it is definately something I think should be considered.

· Registered
1,772 Posts
The way I see it is "it was bound to happen" so lets just take this as lesson learned and hope inspections get WAY tighter on the $$ giants..... Better to have one explode and the rest carefully inspected to a T often than to have a bunch explode,,,,,

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The prob with this solution is that once totally saturated the hay will sink. My wifes company is currently working with BP on a great solution. They have a product that adsorbs the oil and will continue to float so that is can be removed from the water. After that it will be spread and covered with a second product that will dramatically speed biodegradation.
Actually they said that the hay would stay afloat. The oil does not absorb into the hay, it bonds itself to the outside keeping the hay from being saturated with water keeping it a float. I would think there would be a small amount of sinkage but if it cleaned up 80% that would be better than what they are getting right now, and much cheaper and less harmful than introducing more chemicals into the water.

· Registered
3,907 Posts
Well it works in a pan. LOL
But in the Gulf and with millions of gals of oil?

BP first tried the dome they placed over the leak but it plugged with hydrates. I told my wife they need to use methanol to dissolve the hydrates. The next day I read they will try a much smaller dome, inject methanol and hot water to dissolve the hydrates.
I was familiar with hydrates where I worked for parts of the plant operated at -120 to -300 degrees F.

Where I worked also had a oil/water separator that skimmed the plants waste water. It worked very well. It was a simple section of 12 inch pipe about 100 ft long with a slit cut in one side. But the oil/water was in a pit, protected from wind and calm with no wave action. The reclaimed oil was used for boiler fuel and the water used for oil well injection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.