SOLUNAR Calender: Hoax or helpful?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ssskinner27, Jun 5, 2009.

1. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey everyone I am just wondering what your opinion is on the Solunar Calender For real or is it just crap? I am going to start using it this weekend and see how the bite differs from major times on good days and bad days and also Minor times on good and bad days and see if there is a difference.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I follow the Major and minor feeding periods....any day I can go fishing. I have found them to be highly accurate for me.:cool2:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't even bother trying to fish for flatheads during a full moon!:embarassed:

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    the sun and moon cycles definatly have an effect.when i first heard this i did the same thing. I fished EVERY day for two months, just to see: it works brother. try for yourself, youll hear opinions on both ends of the debate. welcome to the Boc bro.

5. WHAAAAAT????????? Are you serious Tan??!! That sun/moon chart crap don't mean nothing, does it?? I mean it dosn't make a real signifacant difference, right?????????? I must say, I am really surprised by the responses on this issue. Maybe I need to scool myself on it. Jeeze, isn't there enough to worry about trying to go fishing, and now you guys are saying it matters where the moon is at??? Please, enlighten me fellas, I think I am missing something. Thanks.

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think it helps a little bit but for me I use the charts for walleye fishing and they seem to help.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    John the moon and sun cycles has an effect on everything. Farmers plan by it and fishermen too. The moon has a gravitational pull on the earth. when it is closer to the earth its stronger, less when away. this changes during the monthly moon cycle. a cycle within a cycle if u will. because if this, the new and full periods are the times when fish are more active. the earth is basically a big electromagnet all kinds of unseen forces at work here. u could google this topic and get more comprehensive info, i am afraid i may confuse u more cause i suck as a science teacher.

8. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Catfish already have an advantage over us. I think that anything we can do to increase our chances is worth a look at.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with most of you on this but I believe Matt spelled it out. I have followed the Solunar tables for years and found them to be very accurate.For you unbelievers, compare the activity of cows and other animals to the time that the fish bite. You will soon see that if cattle are up and feeding the fish will be biting. If not they will not be biting. Reps. Matt.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    besides the moon phase i think alot of other things factor in, like the barometric pressure, water conditions, just cause the moon phase says its gonna be good the barometric pressure could shut the bite right down

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I do check the solunar tables when I go fishing,I haven,t found that much correlation to sucesss with where I fish.I gotta agree,to me the water conditions and weather are a lot more important.IMO.I don,t notice the bite goin one way or the other depending on the moon phases.I just try to get out there whenever I can.If it,s a good night ,I,ll give the solunar tables the credit,If it,s a bad night I,ll have something to blame it on!:wink:

12. Thanks Matt, and the rest of you. I guess I will have to check it out. I actually have a portable GPS for the boat and the tables are built into it, so I guess should start friggin using them, don't ya think? Hahaha.

13. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I never catch anything anyhow, so for me I guess it makes little difference.

:eek:oooh: :006: :smile2:

14. crashman

crashman Guest

In my opinion the new moon being the best day of the month to fish has worked for me. I think the darkness gives the cats confidence, and keeps them from being spooked. I agree that the wrong patterns of barometric pressures can shut the fishing down regardless of the moon. I have though caught a PB on the worst day of the month, at the worst time of that day, so I wouldnt let just the solunar tables keep me from going fishing.

15. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome to the Boc crashman, thats a good lookin cat in that avatar.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a watch from basspro that has the moon phase on it, it shows 4 fish on good nites and 1 fish on crappy nites, i used to alway check it when i was out, but any more i really don't pay any attention to it, i've caught fish on 1 fish nites and i've also gotten skunked on 4 fish nites, alot of factors can affect the moon phase, atleast thats my take on it

17. Exactly.:cool2:

18. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    guys i agree with u completly about other factors, barometrics, water temp, time of year, etc. what i tend to do is factor those points in with the moon phase. for example a new moon with a low pressure system moving in during a pre-spawn...PRIMETIME bro. caught my personal best at this time.

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the thing that sucks is if i wait for those perfect conditions i'd only be out once all year:eek:oooh:

20. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    that was just one example, there are other situations that are sweet. dnt get me wrong some times i can get skunked for weeks, then al of a sudden, man its like wham! you hit the jack pot, like the fish are poppin. early spring is my favorate time to fish, i'll hit the pre spawn bass until they shut down then its all cattin baby. may pick up a summer bass or two.