Solomon River in Kansas

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by nOct3rn4l, May 16, 2009.

1. nOct3rn4l

nOct3rn4l Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went fishing today and had a little luck. Caught 2 and lost 1. First one was 12 pounds and second one was 7 pounds. Might go back out tonight.

Attached Files:

2. duane kingsbury

duane kingsbury New Member

State:
    kansas
    shawn, are you fishing near beloit? or farther upstream. we used to floaat below Glen elder toward Beloit really had fun. are you using nitecrawlers or shrimp?

3. nOct3rn4l

nOct3rn4l Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hi Duane, I was fishing near a little town Called Niles, its about 9 miles upstream from the the town of Solomon, I was using Live Green Sunfish for Bait, owe yeah and I forgot to say in the first Post both Flatheads were released after I took pictures.

4. duane kingsbury

State:
    kansas
    me and a buddy from Salina have fished the river bridges all the way down from Bennington to Solomon. We go and stay all nite moving from bridge to bridge. We have rigged up an old bicycle tire with a net and rope to retrieve them after catching them. Old and lazy I guess:smile2::smile2: Sure have a good time though. We fish the Saline also. usually from Lincoln on down. And the Smoky.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats awesome Shawn.:cool2:
    Makes for a great avatar too.:wink:
    Congratulations on the nice flatties. Reps for releasing them. They will make alot of babies in a few months.:smile2:
    Then they will be even bigger next year.

6. nOct3rn4l

nOct3rn4l Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went fishing again today at the same spot on the Solomon River. Caught a 21.2 lb. flathead on green sunfish. Released him back into the water. Was by myself and didn't know how to set the timer on the camera so I proped the camera on a tree and did a video. You might be able to tell I was very happy lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsC126bp5E

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats how I do it Shawn. The video works great.
    Congrats again, you are on a roll.:wink:

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Shawn welcome to the GREAT BOC, and way to go on the CPR!!!

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Good fish and good video.I fish alone most of time I'll have to try that.:smile2:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice fish Shawn. Congrats !!! :big_smile:

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Shawn,
    Congrats! Nice fish!! :big_smile:

12. kccatkilla42

kccatkilla42 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    my grandma grew up on a farm in lenora and one of the branches of the solomon ran right behind her house, she used to tell me stories of how her dad would get in the creek the spring and noodle 40+ flatheads for dinner, i'd be excited to see what size monsters the main river has in it! :cool2:

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Shawn, Congrats on the nice Flathead:wink: Thanks for postin the video.

14. duane kingsbury

State:
    kansas
    good job shawn!! looks like its time to hit the river again. sun fish again? well have to get together some time in the further and do some river fishing. great video. duane

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Now you know why some of the old timers called 'em Yellah Cats.
    Nice fish, all of them. I like the color, makes 'em look prettier. You
    did good on the release, too. I bet there will be more flatties to
    catch because of your wise decision release the big ones.

16. SVCat

SVCat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice fish! Did the river being up last winter cut any new fishin holes. I'm in Beloit and around here it moved a few small log jams and cut a few new holes. Lakes back to normal now so not letting much out. Hoping to get out for the first time this weeknd.
    Good luck, hope to see more pics. (Hope to have some of my own!)

17. SVCat

SVCat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We release most of ours that we catch as do several others guys that fish the same area. One guy uses small zip ties to tag fish. Anyone have any ideas on the best way and location to tag a fish. It's amazing some of the distances these flatheads have traveled in between catches.

18. nOct3rn4l

nOct3rn4l Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Errick welcome to the BOC , Sorry it took me so long to reply i have been out to Milford Lake for the last 5 to 6 days camping, But yeah with the river being up all winter around here it has changed it alot, there is a few new holes i found and it seems there is a few less log Jams and the log jams that were there are bigger than last year.
    Hey i grew up around beloit and fished alot when i was a kid at the park down there, had some memorable times there, Christy and I have went there once this year but had no luck, but the water was still really cold, we plan on taking another trip there this year to see if we have better luck.
    Good luck fishing the Solomon and keep me posted how it goes, ill do the same. :)

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Shawn congrats on a very nice fish.I'm playing catch up but did notice you had a new avatar picture was wondering when & where he was caught.
    Thx for the CPR,,,see you soon!

20. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Them are some nice cats Shawn. I wish I could have come down to Curtis Creek to BS with you and Jim for a while but I had family with me to entertain. Hope to catch you sometime soon.