Solo Sunday

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by reddcat, Mar 26, 2007.

1. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fished solo on sunday. Launched out of my home port ,,, Deep Bottom.
    Shad were easy in front of the landing with the cast net.The tide was still incoming so I ran down river behind Turkey Island. 1 fish @ 11 lbs ,back out to the Turkey Island cut thru and picked up strong a 34.
    Upriver to the pump house and found a 24. Last fish was a 9 in the DB loop. Met a catman at Beep Bottom and took an application for future copilot .Great day took out at 4 PM

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Bruce,

Thanks for the report.

3. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice catch.. I was solo Sunday too, out of Dutch Gap.. let me know if you want to meet up sometimes.. it's hard to wrestle a big one in alone. I had 3 lines bending on Sunday when I was by myself.. only was able to get one in.

4. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey guys,
    Plan on fishing Buggs Island this weekend,but April 7,8,9,10 we will be in the Hopewell,Deep Bottom area..
    I have never put in at Deep Bottom,any advice on the ramp.And how about where to catch the shad..?
    We live about 3 hour drive so I don't get down as much as I would like.

thanks for any info...mike b

5. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Deep bottom ramp is a good ramp, a little steep, sometimes the tide and the wind combine to make it difficult to land a boat by yourself. Plenty of parking, two ramps with a floating dock to hold the boat while getting the truck,in the summer days a county policeman keeps an eye on things during the high traffic times.
    Bait can be caught with cast or gill net close to ramp. Let me know and I might be able to help with bait info or I always keep some frozen for a quick trip.
    Good fishing close to ramp.
    In the summer the play boaters can be a little jerky, but by that time I switch to night fishing .
    Come on down the fish are hungry.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Way to go Bruce great report

7. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks for the report Bruce. You mentioned a pump house, back in 1994-95 we use to set up near a brick pump house on the chesterfield side. Just wondering if that might have been the one you were fishing. I caught my first blue there, about thirty pounds and as far as I was concerened it might as well have been 150. I was jacked up all summer from that fish.

8. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    same pumphouse, there is a steep dropoff there,anchor on top and fish the slope

9. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Bruce ,,
    Thanks for the information about the ramp and shad..
    Will you be fishing that week??

thanks again,,mike b