sold on shad

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by playinghooky, Aug 27, 2005.

1. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    went fishing last couple of days at local lake. tried all kinds of bait worms dough shrimp live gills cut gills nightcrawlers cutbait baby shads. thefirst night we caught a few nice eaters on shad .we forgot shad 2nd night didnt catch thing when we talked about it we figured out we caught all the fish the night before on shad

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Shad is one of my favorite baits for channels. My two biggest channels were caught on shad.

3. Txboy

Txboy New Member

State:
    Hewitt , TX
    Wish i could find shad on the bank where i fish but the best i can do it tiny blacktail shiners but the cats dont seem to like em . I got lucky one night and got bored so i started throwing my cast net out around the riprap area we were fishing and caught 1 perch and 1 3 inch shad . Put that bad boy on the hook and about 5 minutes later something came up and bit off his head and swam off leaving the rest behind

I knew i shouldve hooked that shad thru the eyes but i didnt

4. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    it was frozen baby shad i used i wont go without them again

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Bait depends on the water which you fish. Like here shad is all that will work in some lakes, but you put shad side by side with Sonny's or Liver out at the slough Wher I regular and you will get outfished everytime.

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The frozen shad you're talking about, is that ones you bought in the store or did you catch em yourself and freeze em?

Just curious which is better to use. :0a36:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ah great to hear brother. i fish clinton lake here in illinois. i use nothing else when i fish it. it provides good results.

8. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i had a local bait store sell me the frozen shad

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It's better to use them fresh, because after you freeze them they start to become mushy and they don't stay on the hook well.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. a $20 shad net is much cheaper than buying. 7-8 shad in a pack at wally world is $3.95. i use dozens when im out keeping fresh bait on. i toss a few dozen when i leave most times. a jar of shad gut at the shop at clinton is $6.75. 3 jars could buy a net. and i tried freezing mine. i don't like em. ill stick with fresh and bloody. just how i like my steaks. :)

11. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Store bought shad are VERY expensive. a jar of shad sides (1/2 pint) is 3 dollars here. And the store bought ones don't seem to work as well as fresh.

12. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    the fresh are the way to go them thred fin are real good but my favorite cutbait is skipjack

13. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info.

Much appreciated!

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man wish we had those big a$$ skipjack here. first time i seen them was last year at catstock. whistler brought a cooler full of em. they were 12 -14" long. now thats some cutbait. gizzard shad here are an adveradge at 5-6 " with an ocasional 12".

15. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

Get yourself a vaccuum sealer and stock up on bait. Yeah, fresh isdefinitely better, but if you vaccuum pack em' and then freeze em' they hold up MUCH better!!!! I used some frozen skipjack last week and you couldn't even tell they had been frozen!!! Lately, since the catfishin' is SLOW, we've been going to the local dam and stocking up on the Skippies!!! We caught 36 of em' the other night and 12+ were in the 12 to 15 inch range, and like you said, that's some serious cut-bait!!!!!

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

shad is a very good stand by bait

17. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've never used shad, i stick mostly with hotdogs, bacon, worms, and chicken livers. How do you go about fishing for shad.

18. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I fish on the Mississippi River and if we dont have shad we don't catch anything, SkipJack doesnt even work for us

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Shad is great fresh, and live on a slipbobber rig when I can get them, is the best! Freezing them works but not like fresh or live!