Sold on a new bait!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Flatheadhunter33, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    While out on the water, I found a bait that I am sold on over bluegills! While looking for gills my buddy and I started hooking into what we thought were little aggressive gills. We hooked one after another and just threw them in the basket in order to get on to our flathead spots. Once we got there and started to bait up, we noticed that these litle gills were actually small Tilapia! Let me tell ya, if you dont know already, these little fish are aggressive as heck and they stay alive both in the basket and on the hook way, way longer than bluegill. When on the hook, they move so much that I thought that I was getting bites! I know that they were attracting other fish.

Next morning we whent back to the spot where we caught them to see if there was more and they were mixed in with small bass and blue gill. The water was clear so of course we could not coax the bass to bite out crawlers. The gills would come up but take a look at the worm before biting. The tilapia....OOOOH MAN! Them guys would swim past a blue gill to bite the hook. If we missed the fish, no problem. The fish would literally follow that bait all the way back to the boat and bite again! If you got tilapia in your area and never use 'em, give them a try!

2. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Aren't tilapia an invasive species originally from Africa and Madagascar? Unless I'm misinformed, that would render them as illegal to use as live baits like that and by law you are suppose to kill them once you catch them, or at least make sure they don't end up back in the water.

3. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well if Im supposed to kill them once I catch them, there should not be much of a problem with using them as bait? They are plentiful in this area and I also see them for sale at wal mart for eating...in addition I grew up eating them in Ohio. I will check into the local regualtions though. Thanks for the heads up.

4. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Yes it sucks, seems like there are always a few people that ruin it for the rest of us. From a couple of people who the fish outgrew their aquarium so they decided to let them go, as florida's case tropical fish breeding ponds overflowing or misinformed government and population, there are a lot of restrictions on fish.

I personally so no problem with you using the tilipia as bait, but I'd just hate to see a game and parks guy fine you big time. If you know your local wardens then ask what they think about it. Who knows, maybe if there is a nice one he'll say he doesn't see anything wrong with it even though i do believe it is technically illegal.

Or you can just do it in secret and not tell the rest of the locals about your little secret.

Still It is illegal. As is owning dwarf tropical snakeheads that wouldnt' survive for more then the hottest summer month anywhere in Nebraska and then die when the cold set in. But a few people released giant snakeheads that can stand sub-tropic and cold water situations and they all are banned.

Sorry, just me digressing :confused2:

5. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i can see both of yall's points. i would still use em for bait in the same water i caught em in, but i would absolutely not take them between different bodies of water. i guess they are kind of like those white perch in how prolific they are.

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    We have caught them on the Colorado River and some of the back water tributaries. Most times I've seen them fully grown at eater size. But the little ones seem to make one heck of a bait.

8. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    According to the Cal. 2008-09 freshwater fishing regulations starting on page 13, par 4.00 it specifically refers to the method and use of baits used for fishing. Talapia is specifcally addressed and it tells you exactly what watersheds they are able to be used in. Below is and excerpt from the reg. You guys in Cally have some out of this world regulations for everything. I would surely read this one to make sure I would not be getting fined.

Bait Fish Use in the Colorado
    River District.
    Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish
    shall not be used or possessed for use as bait
    in the Colorado River District:
    (a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow,
    red shiner, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker,
    threadfin shad, goldfish, sunfish, molly, and
    dead carp may be used in all Colorado River
    District waters.
    (b) Live carp may be used only at the location
    where taken.
    (c) Tilapia may be used in the Salton Sea,
    and may be taken for bait only within the area
    bounded by Highway 111 on the north and east
    and Highway 86 on the west and south (except
    as in subsection (d) below.
    (d) Tilapia may be taken and used for bait in the
    Colorado River and its associated backwaters
    only within the area bounded by Palo Verde
    Diversion Dam south to the Morelos Dam.
    NOTE: See subsection 4.05(b).

9. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Thanks for that, i guess it is legal in certain places. But again, to be sure just contact a local fish and parks person and ask them.

I'm sure they make excellent bait, I know with some experience with keeping fish in aquariums tilipia of various types are extremely aggressive, some will even bite and ram the glass :eek:oooh:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I imagine that Az game laws are a little different than Neb. I know they are not even close to ours,in New Mexico.

11. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield

12. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Crazy thing is that I dont know how the DFG would possibly be able to catch anyone violating these rules unless they had a reason to go out check someone in particular. Im willing to bet that there are thousands of these little fish all up and down the river and associated waters.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'll keep that in mind if they ever lived in PA.

Very informative.

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    here in Texas it says you have to gut them in the water before you leave the lake, but I think that's if you are gonna take them & eat them...I'll have to look into it, they make good bait though, although we use them as cutbait

15. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    What kinda Talaipa do you have out there ? Down here in Fl.the talaipa only eat vegys and won't touch a worm.
    We shoot them with a bow or snach hook them .The biggens are good eats.
    bewell crmule

16. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I feel the same about crappie its hard for them to catch you using them for bait. I tell you one thing if I do use them they have out done all other baits for flatheads hands down. Never tried Tilapia before there are none were I fish.