Sold Boats? Better send in transfer

Discussion in 'Boating' started by my4x4awd, Aug 20, 2007.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    :angry:I got called last week from our local TWRA Tennesse Wildlife Resources Agency. It Seems the guy I sold my old boat to, decided to float it down the TN river. He must have wanted the engine only. It was causing a hazard and litter trouble. I was imformed that in TN you are required to send in the transfer when you sell a boat. You are still responsible if the new owner never transfers the registration. I almost had to go and recover the boat. I have the bill of sale to the new owner. Anyway we worked it out and I turned in the transfer the next day. I was told that 90% of boaters don't know to do this! So beware.

Craig

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Was it a good Boat? Seems to me you could have retrieved the boat and either charged a retrieval fee or resold it.. :wink: People put their trash in the river then wonder why the fishing is so bad in their local waters :roll_eyes:

3. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    That's a great tip! In California the DMV has a form called "release of liability". All you have to do is fill out some basic information on the card and mail it in and you are all set. It can sure help you avoid some major headaches later on down the road.