solar help

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jul 18, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this fall i have plans on building a solar pre heat tank for hot water. rising gas costs are forceing me to look into alternative energy.

ive already switched to wood burning heat in home and shop. and im gonna install electric registers or solar registers to replace the back up furnace that we rarly use.

but heres my main objective this fall.

take a 40 gallon tank. its painted black and wrapped with black copper pipe. installed in a box also black and fixed with glass front and top. it is hooked into the main water inlet. then to reg water heater. wich im going back to electric after switching to propane 2 years ago.

what it does. sun or solar heat heats up water in the exterior tank to 120-160 degrees depending on the time of year temp. even in winter. then your water heater witch is set at normal heat keeps water warm like normal.

BUT. as you use hot water instead of cold water going in from ground your pulling hot water from the preheat tank heated for free by the ever burning sun. THUS your water heater doesnt have to heat it. or if it does it needs much less heat. reducing greatly your energy consumption. saving money for other needs. one man one step to a fule free life.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good plan. We have a similar system here in Iraq with water tanks on the roof..............................no need for water heater!!!

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    They use 55 gallon drums to keep fresh water & also to heat it at the cabins in Baffin Bay on the gulf coast inland..pretty cool setup

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jeremy, some people here have wood furnaces that also heat the water. Of course it doesn't work in the summer time.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya bearcat said he had one in good shape that could heat water for hot water and heat but i dont want to have to burn wood year round. the sun is more efficiant.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heres a house down the street from me. Its just black plastic coils of hose on the roof. We have a lot of these in town. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    that works great. some use that to heat pool water. a pump to circulate water through a black hose on a roof will heat a pool like a hot tub.

only prob. winter. :smile2: that would be the worlds longest tasteless popcicle here come november.:smile2:

thats a cool idea no dought.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Your setup looks good, I saw how some were made, they got a plastic film with air gap under the glass for insulation. The salesman said it keep the inside temp warmer. The solar heaters he had would produce 120 degree heat with -20 degrees outside.