Solar Charger

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by sirdank, Mar 31, 2009.

1. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have an 18' jon that sits in the water off the dock all summer long.
    I am looking for a solar charger/maintainer to leave out there when not in use.
    Does anybody have any ideas of brands or what would work good.

p.s. I don't want to spend a fortune

Thanks

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i found one in a junk car that plugs into your cigg lighter. i think that will work as a trickle charger. ill hook it up and let you know

3. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i found one online at harbor freight that i use on my boat it cost like 20 bucks

4. Steve762us

Steve762us New Member

State:
    GA
    I have a couple of "Coleman" 5 watt solar panels on a boat out in the yard, now. I learned on the first one that they don't do a good job of waterproofing them, from the factory. Water got in around the LED (it was just press-fitted into the panel frame), and rusted the steel LED leads real quick.

I got a replacement under warranty, and used silicone sealant around the LED and the edges of the glass panel & frame. I replaced the corroded LED in the first panel and got it working again, and now both panels have lasted a rainy winter and are still charging.

I got my panels off Amazon; the Harbor Freight should be just as good. I'd recommend you do a good inspection of the panel before you put it out, and beef up the water resistance if it needs it, wherever you end up buying from.

Edit: From what I read, a 5 watt panel is about all you can run on a battery without using a charge controller. Five watts will keep a charged battery charged indefinitely, but it won't bring up a charge on a battery that's already run down.

If you want a panel that will bring up a discharged battery, you'll need to also buy a charge controller.

5. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    there is a mail order catalog that i get that has a few kinds. it is called northern tool and equipment. the web site is www.NorthernTool.com it is under alternative energy. i was wondering about how good that would work myself. keep me posted if anyone knows

6. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    northern tool solar chargers are: 5 watt trickle 59.99, 15 watt 99.99 (req 7 amp controller 29.99) and a 1.8 watt for cig lighter 29.99