Solar Battery Charger

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Patmansc, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    While thumbing thru a tool catalog, I noticed a 6-watt solar battery charger for 12-volt deep cycle batteries. $80 plus $10 for battery clamps. Seems like something that can be used when on trips away from home. Anybody ever used one?

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    How many amps? I bet there's not enough amps to charge a battery. At most, it might put out enough to maintain a charged battery that was not in use.

3. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Solar panels have made a great advance. I have seen some in the 15 amp range. One must be aware that to get that output the panel must be directed at the brightest sun. The sky cant be overcast. I know people who are adding them to everything and wiring them in series. I think that it might help you out and may even restore some charge, but one must study the situation before relying on them.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've seen some big solar panels on the top of hard topped T top center consoles.
    My preference is to spend 60-80 bucks for a high amp battery boost pack.
    I dont leave the dock without one.
    The good ones have several cigarette lighter plug ins and put out 800 cranking amps. No boat that relies on battery power for operation should be without one.
    It has saved me heartache and headache a few times.
    Good thing about it is that it is a lightweight portable device that you can carry in your car or truck when the boat is not in use. They make jumper cables obsolete.

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Grumpy, I looked up the tech specs and found out that this particular model is .2 amps. I called my daughter that happens to be an electrical engineer (makes more $$ than her old man), and she said that it would take a while to fully charge a 12V battery, but that it would prevent it from becoming fully discharged. The company makes several kinds of solar panels for different applications, and here is their website if you want to look around: www.icpglobal.com :)

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    patman that would come in handy i think for trips away from home like you said, i wonder how it would work if you just kept it in your boat to trickle on a trolling motor battery or something. Dont know just throwin out ideas, it would be nice to have a bigger amperage one too for trips but Im sure the price jumps fast

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
  8. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I may be wrong, but this is the way I figure it.
    If you have a 120 amp hour battery and it's 50% discharged, then you will need 60 amp hours to recharge it. A 10 amp battery charger will recharge it in 6 hours. A .2 amp battery charger would take 300 hours to recharge it.