softshells

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by rcbbracing, Sep 15, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive hit saltfork many times this yr and now believe it should be called turtle fork. After catching these things am i the only one that thinks they pull a clicker like a flathead does?

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I dont know about softshells, but i know a snapper does!

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I caught a couple turtles last summer, they just glued them selves to the bottom and didn't move. It was like getting snagged, but they will loosen up eventually.

4. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    all except the last time i caught one they just bent the rod real slow. the last and biggest(20plus pounder) i didnt even know was on there till i decided to start headin in. other than that, theyre aggravating i know.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey softshells can put up an awesome fight! only to disappoint u when u see them :eek:oooh:

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I hate softshells,ugly,nasty,mean critters,I'd rather catch snappers than those things,at least their nit as ugly,

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cage em up and sale them to paylakes :smile2:

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Have any of you tried to eat softshells? I hope you are not wasting them. They make great eating. I grew up on the Texas Louisiana line in Southeast Texas. an a long time back I used to catch one now and then. People would be asking me for it before i even got it off the line. I broke down and tried some. It wasn't bad. Some like to make soup out of it. I tried it once. But you can batter it and fry it. They call it fried Cooter. Thats how I would recommend it.

9. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    you know, my dad mades soup out of gator snappin turtles years ago. i catch softshells all the time but i wouldnt know where to start on cleanin em.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

got an aluminum bat?

11. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    ha, i wanna eat em, not assault em. lol

12. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I watched one of those survivor guys on tv a while back. He was way back in a Louisiana swamp and he was trying to noodle catfish. After a while he was up to a point I think he would have eaten anything. (by the way, I have seen him eat things I would have to be starving before I put in my mouth) But, he caught a nice size turtle in a fish trap he had built. He stretched the legs out and cut them off, stuck them on a stick and put them over the fire. After a while he was munching away on em. It looked like he had it cooked well done cause it was sort of blackened and crunchy. He went to town on the turtle cutting it up and cooking all the different pieces. After he was finished you would have thought he had just left a Steak House. He said it was mmmm mmm goood.