soften up your cast net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by laidbck111, Jun 19, 2006.

1. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Does anyone have a better way to soften up a castnet than soaking it in the washing machine in hot water and two cups of fabric softner. It works great but I am always wanting to try somthing new.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

come on now I know with all this knowledge here there has got to be a better way.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

ok maybe I asked the wrong question. Does any one know how to soten up a new cast net other than the way I mentioned before.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I keep my net is a bucket of water, it stays soft.

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Get one that's over 50 years old, then it will hardly ever get stiff.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thanks for yall help. I think I might try the plain water. I have a few days to soften up a new net. and if that doesn't work I guess I can go with my only tried and true method.

7. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just leave mine in a 3 gallon bucket with plain old tap water[well water]. It stays soft, as soft as it will get.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Fabric softner is the only thing I ever heard to use. Although I just use mine. I never store it in water I just wad it up and stick it in a bucket.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i wonder how that reel magic would work on a mono net?

10. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i just take a 5 gallon bucke put in some fabric softerner then fill it up with water lay a brick on top of net to keep it in the bucket after a couple of days take it out rinse it off good hang it up to dry then put it in a bucket of water with a lid works great for me

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i have a 4ft net so mine will stay in a 1ga bucket...

rolled up and when not sing it i put it in the bucket so when the shad start jumping its ready to fling open :wink:

12. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use the ez throws (when walmart has them) and i made the mistake of leavin it in a bucket for a few days in the sun!! talk about starched!!!!, now i leave it in the bottom 5 gal bucket with water covering it (keeps the bucket from blowin out too when drivin) and doin that i always have a bucket for my shad

13. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    if you need to soften it, my advice is to throw throw throw. I have never seen a net that wouldn't soften after one night that is hard to catch bait. :big_smile:

14. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So am I to understand that fabric softener will soften up a mono net?
    If so how much do you use per gallon?
    have a good un
    just

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    like max said just use the net.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO

Fill up a bucket with warm water, just enough to cover the net. Add some fabric softener, maybe 1/2 cup or so, doesn't really matter. Soak for a couple of hours. Rinse well and away you go.

17. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    After using the fabric softener and after the net has been dried out, will it still be soft the next time you go to use it?

18. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    When I buy a new net, I pour nothing but fabirc softener into the bucket the net came in until it covers the net completely and let it soak for at least 36 hours. After that, I don't do anything else to it but throw and catch bait. I've had one net for a little over 5 years and it's still soft and opens easy.

19. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the reply! I have a new net that I am going to give it a try.

20. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I dont try to soften mine, I hang it by the ring and let weights hang down and stretch net straight. it seems to help...maybe. might would help if I soaked it in the bait bucket first:smile2: