Soft shell turtles

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by justwannano, May 15, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've always just thought of them as a bait stealing pain in the butt.
    A guy at work asked me if I had ever heard of anyone eating them. Gotta admit I haven't. Neither had he.
    So how about it.
    Are softshells good to eat?
    Taste different than snappers?
    What about other turtles?

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    From what I have heard softshells are supposed to be better than snappers. (never had either)

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have eaten both and ill have to say the softshells are better than snappers.good fried like ckicken.better in soup.

4. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I've also heard that you can eat them but they smell terrible.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    how would i go about cleaning/cooking a turtle???

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    cut off head,turn upside down and go to work.you cut around the shell till you can remove the bottom half.then you just remove the meat from the top half.lots of work but good eating when finished.

7. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's on my 'to do' list when I vacation from Germany in a few weeks. I plan on catching some snapping turtles in my home state.
    Can't you eat the meat off the legs and neck, too?

8. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    You can eat the meat off the neck if ya boil it off, like for soup. Otherwise all the meat is on the legs. I don't bother with them till their 11-12" across. Soft shell is easier to clean and tastes better to me. YUM YUM YUM!!

If you can purge them in clean water for 24-48 hours and then out of water for 3-8 hours it cleans out their systems really well. Then cut off the head and let them bleed head down for 30-60 minutes. Next cut of the bottom shell (tin snips, horse nippers, etc.). During this whole process make sure you don't cut or puncture any fluid filled membranes, it could taint the meat. After the bottom shell is off, skin the legs, cut off feet, and cut the legs out. If you want cut out the neck.

Clean up the meat, debone if you perfer. You can make soup but I like it fried up instead with a little cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and cayene. If you have a keen taste, you can actually taste 5-7 different flavors of meat in one turtle. But it's all good man!!! Good eatin' to ya!!!

9. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Interesting, thanks.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    softshells, and snappers, are the only turtles worth eating, in my book.

11. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    Patrick you may have to look me up when you get home. I've been wanting to try turtle myself. I see lots of soft shells in the ditches around Bdale.

12. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    By Flag Lake or one of it's tributaries? I was going to go out at Clear/Smithport Lake where I go frog gigging and try and catch some snappers. According to the regs, you can have 1 per person, per vehicle.I just want to try something different during my short stay home.

13. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    actually i see a lot in the ditch that runs behind the Gym and clothing sales and also up around the 917th. I've also seen some lunkers in cross lake as well.

14. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Perhaps it's changed in a couple years (havn't been home lately), but I don't recall any water around the gym. Though I do remember a ditch running across a portion of the golf course.

I have no idea what a 'lunker' is. I've fished a little bit on Cross Lake. I'm assuming you're talking about the southwest corner of Cross; in the shallows.

15. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree that they do smell terrible, even the baby ones.

I have never tried eating one, but I can't imagine the reaction I would get if I brought one home to cook up....:eek:oooh: I would build a fire at the river and cook him there to save me the trouble. but then all turtles are trouble when you're fishin for fish.

16. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    When ever you get a snapper or a softshell that you want to eat, catch it and keep it alive. I built a wire cage out of welded wire and I put them in a fresh water creek with fast moving water. I leave them in there for several days and you would not believe the difference that it makes in the smell. It's Gone, after they soak in the fresh water. They get their smell from what they eat/where they live. Give it a try,,,you won't believe the difference that it will make. BUT MAKE SURE THEY HAVE ROOM TO BREATHE!!!!

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A warning to you turtle newbies. That Snappers head can still bite long after it has been cut off. My old Grandma said till after the sun goes down. Once one of my friends wanted to try cleaning a snapper, I didn't tell him about their nervous system. After I cut the head off for him I said he was ready. You should have seen him jump when that old turtle kicked the knife right out of his hand! lmao Once again be very careful when cleaning turtles.:big_smile:

18. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    THIS IS VERY TRUE!!!! MMMMMMMM THAT GOOD EATIN!!!

IF you need a easy way to clean them PM me and i will let you know a little secret !!!!!