soft plastics?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by whiskerchaser, Jun 14, 2009.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Well I have been recently fishing this lake about 20 miles away, it has catfish, trout, large and small mouth bass, and walleye. I wanna do me a little bass fishing seeing as how I recently purchased an abu garcia baitcasting reel hooked up to an ugly stick pole. I have plenty of soft plastic baits just dont know how to rig them, i have worms and lizards and also a few jigs, crank baits, and spinner baits. The lake I fish is around 52 degrees according to the report and 800 acres in size.

There is however a small pond quite aways away we stopped by today, its a long walk and there was grass all over the lake, not many places to fish

forgot to mention im fishing from the shore.

any tips?

2. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    My bad the lake is actually 61 degrees if that changes anything, and how should I fish the worm?

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ya, fish the worm and lizards texas rig. Drop em in the pockets and see what happens. sometimes I go with no weight and free fall get alot of strikes that way.

4. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ya but do i bump them off the bottom or just real them in nice and slow next to cover?

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You want to hop it but you also want to make sure that after every couple hops that you're letting it get back down to the bottom, you don't want it just flailing around in open water.

6. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I useally rig my worms Texas style or with a weedless jighead. Wacky rigged sencos fished off the edge of a weed bed seem to do good to

7. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    hmm well I rigged it texas style today and fished off a dam, next to a water tower. Got a total of 3 hits, 2 which resulted in a fish on but was lost soon after, I had trouble detecting a hit, I would go to bounce it off the bottom and next thing I know i got something pulling on my line, id real for awhile and it was gone soon after, the hook wasnt buried deep in the worm i could feel it catch my finger when id run it across, just couldnt tell when to set the hook, plastic worms are definately my favorite bass lure though. any tips on detecting a bite and setting the hook? thanks.

8. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    um i think at new ponds with a baitcaster flippin and pitchin a jig in the cover fishin it slow will tell u if the active how hard there hitten u might even throw a shaky head worm

9. bluefish1928

bluefish1928 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    until this year with my first attempt to try toad/frog fishing from shore, i have always used floating worms from shore. bubblegum 6 inch worm rigged on a 1/0 or 2/0 offset worm hook twitched near fish attractors often gets me strikes. this works very well and should be a good technique anywhere as long as ur not fishing the slop. lily pad edges, weedline pockets, next to stumps, and parallel to shore. just keep in mind this is a light line technique with 10 or 12 pound test line being the best.