Soft plastics tip

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by blindfly69, Aug 21, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i used to hate how quick my soft plastic baits wore out but at a trade show i saw a pro explain a tip to make your baits last longer......after you're done using them... take out a lighter/match or anything that gets hot and melt the nose and body or any place you put your hook so that it goes back into place and is almost as good as new!!

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    seems like a good idea. ill have to try it. thanks for the tip

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Great Idea! Thank You Blindfly69! :smile2:

4. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I learned about that years ago, back when I was doing some serious bassin' back in the early 70's. But, I had forgotten about it. Since, I have not fished many soft plastics in all the years that have passed from the early 70's until now. Since, I have been mostly fishing for trout with a fly rod, until last year when I started catfishing again. But, I am throwing a few from time to time now (for bass) and it was very good that you brought that up, to refresh my memory.

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the tip brother ill have to try that one, it will save me a little money on plastics.

6. Mr. Abu Garcia

Mr. Abu Garcia New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    sounds pretty good, but if u melt it too much it might warp the bait.

7. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use solder guns to fix soft plastics that get torn too bad. Or sometimes to split tails and play with some to get better swimming action for worms.

8. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    thanks blindfly. im going to try that.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    :big_smile: Thanks for the tip brother:big_smile:

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    if the bait is warped it might give the lure a injured fish swim.

11. CATDUDE

CATDUDE New Member

State:
    illinois

Hey guys...i know this is an old post, but i just joined here late last night and thought i would throw a little tip at yall on this subject. I skip alot of swimbaits mainly shad, baby bass, baby blugill imitations.. The way i preserve my baits is to superglue them where the hook enters and exits the body. Thats most commonly where they start to fall apart at. And better yet if you can get ahold of some soft plastic glue thats used for lure making it will work even better. You can even fill holes or tears with it.

12. CATDUDE

CATDUDE New Member

State:
    illinois
    Forgot to mention.....dont glue the outside of the lure. You should gently open the hole, and with the pointy tip that comes with super glue shoot a dab or two inside the hole. That will bind the inside of the plastic with the hook shank.:wink: