Soft plastic worms

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by 223reload, Aug 31, 2008.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Favorite color,either black or pumpkin /pepper. Favorite rig is allways TX rig ,simplicity works wonders

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    My go-to color is green pumpkin or watermellon seed. I love to drag a carolina rig but also texas rig. My favorite soft bait is a gig with a zoom swimmin chunk with a rattle in it. And a big glob of smelly jelly makes em hang on.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cher I totally agree with your post. I couldn't have written it better. I would also add Senkos in the same colors.

4. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    purple fire worms..

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    purple ghost finesse worm

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I remember the first time I went bass fishing. This elderly man took me to an awesome bass pond. He said use a black plastic worm. I listened to his advice and it worked wonders. I caught like 4 bass that morning and the biggest was 4.5 lbs. Still my PB to this very day. I rigged the worm Texas style. And slow rolled it across the vegetation.

These days it's hard to find great bass ponds around this area. Alot of the ponds suffered from pesticide runoff and killed the ponds off. Some of the ponds I fish in the past have changed hands and are owned by guys that will not allow people to fish them. What a crying shame! I can see both sides of the story. I understand they don't want anybody to intrude and trash the area, but at the same token it's a shame these places aren't being fished either. AS long people respect the resource and practice CPR and take limited amounts of fish, there should be no problem!!

Sorry! I had to get that off my chest!

Thanks.
    Mark..

Thanks

7. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Someone made a 7 inch curl tail worm that was a red clear with a black vein in the middle from the tip to within about 1/4 inch of the tail. The top 1/2 had red glitter and the bottom 1/2 had blue glitter from tip of body right through, the tail was even 1/2 one glitter and 1/2 the other. I do not even know where I got the 100 or so I got but they have worked EVERYWHERE I have tried them. Florida (Fresh and Salt Water), Georgia, South Carolina (Fresh and salt), Alabama and now Kentucky.

8. Andrew Y'Barbo

Andrew Y'Barbo New Member

State:
    Texas
    I understand texas rigs, but you need to go to a Stanley jig in 1/2 oz. Lonnie Stanley make a good jig. If you hammer that jig with Stanley Spoof in garlic you will catch a hawg. Tip it with a zoom super chunck. Use a black/blue in off colored water and a watermelon , chartrues in clear water. A good Casaway Skeleton 7' hevey action rod will turn her head.

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Here in Nebraska (Indian proverb meaning "middle of nowhere"):smile2:
    I use a deep dark red, or a purple. Both with sparkles in them. Im not so sure its the dark color so much as it may be the gold flake/sparkle that may attrack them.

Tight lines to ya!

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I like the Renegade brand. Purple with red tail.

11. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    my favorite is a worm called LA CREME natural worm color with a built in hook harness. been usein them since i was a kid. they come in couple different sizes and colors.:big_smile::cool2:

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    What a decision here..... I'm gonna have to say if I had to pick one color to use year round it would have to be the old purple worm . Its always been a great producing color over all for me .

Now my next is that floating 7" bubblegum worm . There are many months out of the years where I can tear the bass up on them .

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    You have learned well grass-hopper. I couldn't have picked it any better.

14. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my go to is either a zoom 4" finesse worm, watermelon with a red flake, or a strike king super finesse worm same size same color, i like rigging these worms wacky style on the zoom, or a texas rig on the strike king

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Been a Culprit fan since the 80's however I use some of them all.
    Hard to beat the old purple worm or any dark colored worm. If I want some pizazz I'll put on a firetail of osme color or either a chartreuse tail. Sometimes I'll take a razor blade and split the tail on a Culprit all the way up to the body.
    I'm also a firm believer in one worm for one fish. Pheromes.
    I dont want no bad vibes on worms I'm throwing.

Generally I fish with the 10" worms and the 7.5" worms.
    In my older age I find that if I have to finesse fish with a 4" worm or grub I'd rather be somewhere else like sanding on a boat.:smile2:

I dont bass fish the lakes anymore. For many years I bypassed the good fishing right here at home to go somewhere else to fish. 7 ponds with good fishing right on the farms here.

Floating worms is a whole nother topic. I've bought them in bags of a 1000. Hard to beat a Danny Joe floating worm.
    The Sluggo, I love. There is no better bait for fishing Lake Mattamuskeet.
    I walked into a Walmart one time and they had a free standing Sluggo rack.
    I picked the whole rack up and carried to the checkout in sporting goods.:smile2: Cleaned em out. I couldn't refuse at clearance prices.

My bass fishing these days is limited exclusively to soft plastics. Thats what the majority of the hawgs are caught on. At one time I had a refrigerator in my shop that had cases of Culprits stacked in it from bottom to top. Now I'm not into fishing 6 days a week. I probally could lay my hands on a paltry 20-30 pounds of soft plastics:embarassed: I find bags of them in some of the oddest places from one end of this farm to other. Trucks, coolers, boats, barns, bedroom, office, car, you name it, its probally got some worms in it.

I generally come home from work, grab a 12 pack and head to the pond. I got boats but I'm relaxing. I stand on the bank drinking beer and ease along the edge. Catch a plenty keeping it simple. Bag of worms, pouch of Gamakatsu hooks, tiny box of bullet weights and two rods from the arsenal.
    No tacklebox needed.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If I had to choose one worm it would be a 7in black culprit or a 5in Gambler paddle tail work in red shad. Those are just hard to beat. Caught a bunch of really nice fish on them. I have always liked the dark colors, never been a big fan of the green pumpkin or watermelon seed. Everybody and their mother uses those colors and I like to throw something different (maybe I'm the idiot for thinking like that:wink:)

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Not to start conflict here but did you folks know bass are actually color blind up to 80% of the time ?........ Its a scientific fact . Colors are are mainly for the sales of lures to bass fishermen . They see mostly black and white therefore see shades of color rather than the color itself.

I stopped buying a million colors a long time ago and I still catch just as many . I do have colors that catch more fish but I will admit that it's my confidence in the color that makes me better...not the color.

Just my 2cents......
    -Jim-

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dark colors my friend.
    At night it's anything black whether its a jitterbug or a worm.

19. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Normally, 7 1/2" black, purple, or pumpkinseed. For clear water (Oklahoma? Yeah. That's gonna happen.:roll_eyes:) I'll toss a pearl or clear/blue fleck. In the really nasty mud, flo. yellow or orange. I keep one rod T-rigged and one with a C-rig.

I really don't know about color, but in the muddy water, I think contrast helps. In-Fisherman had a great article a few years back on how (they think) fish "see color". Seemed to make sense, but none of the fish I've asked would confirm it. If one ever does, I'm going to take up knitting. (Or go to rehab)

20. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I've always been a fan of the Touchdown 6" Texas rigged in deep purple wit a pink fire tail. I've been fishing with'em since was a kid and always had real good luck.