soft plastic vs hard lures

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Zoltar, May 21, 2009.

1. Zoltar

Zoltar New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I prefer using soft lures (mostly plastic worms) over hard plastic lures. Never seem to have much luck with hard lures, but then again I don't fish with them as much as soft lures, so maybe I'd like them if I used them more often.

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i prefer hard baits. they are easy to fish unlike soft plastics,

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use both,But much prefer the soft plastics,in a word. ECONOMY. 5.00$ will buy a hellova lot of plastic worms.:wink:

4. Fishin Chick69

Fishin Chick69 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use both, depends on what I am fishing for and where I am fishing.. Here latley I my floating rat-l-trap A LOT, Bass and crapie are tearing it up..

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Elaine:big_smile:

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like one as well as the other, it just depends what time of year it is. I let the bite dictate what i throw. I love to drag a jig over pea gravel points.

7. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    In the early spring when the water is still cold I will throw a rat-L-trap. As the water warms a little just before and around the spawn time I will use a jig with a plastic trailer. I generally stay away from the plastic worms due to the bluegills and other fish nipping at just the tail. Besides the jig will generally catch bigger fish. That is not to say you cant catch big bass on plastic worms because you can. The jig is the better choice. In fall I love throwing crankbaits. The fish seem to be feeding up on shad and other bait fish as well. This is a good time to trow them. You can make long cast parallel to the shore, points, structure, drop offs and even humps. The best part is you can cover more water in less time. I refer to these lures and finders because once you find them and the correct bait and color you can generally ligh them up. In the hot summer months try fishing during the night when the water is calmer and the air is cooler. Try tying on buzzbaits and plastic frogs or rats. Key in on the weedy flats near deeper water. You will be hooked that is for sure.:wink:

8. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've had better luck with hard lures, but have recently been improving my presentation with soft plastic lures, and have had better luck. My best suggestion to anybody getting frustrated with a particular bait/lure is to keep using it until you perfect the presentation. I know I've been working on jigging, and have had fun with it.

9. Cody King

Cody King New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i like both it just depends on the place

10. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've caught far more bass on plastics than hard baits, but the most fun bass fishing is working a buzz bait or Jitterbug/Hula Popper in shallow water around sunset.