Soft or stiff rod tip for circle hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Amigo108, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    I discovered circle hooks last year and seem to have a good hookup rate with them in salt water using a medium rod with a pretty floppy tip. But now that i'm going to be fishing for catfish and buying some new rods (when I get some more money) I was curious if it's better to have a very flexible tip or a stiff tip. I'd be fishing local lakes and maybe the Potomac river from the bank.

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I have similar hook up ratios on rods with soft and stiff tips. I really don't think it matters.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If it makes any difference, In-Fisherman makes the point that a softer flex in the rod helps with hook-ups buy allowing the catfish to load up the rod before feeling it and spitting out the bait, as well as helping in the hookset by not jerking the hook so easily out of the mouth of the fish. I'm not sure. Maybe its really just about learning to relax, let the catfish take the bait, drink a swallow of coke or coffee, and then reeling in than about the action of the rod.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dave that is an excellent question and deserves study.Most of the circle hook using guides that I have fished with, prefer softer tips.However they will tell you that most of their clients are at best not very skilled fishermen.So they prefer a good visual loading signal prior to picking the rod up.Keep in mind they also primarily drift fish most of the year which completely changes the equation.I drift fish and set up also and use Kahle hooks.I prefer a stiffer tip which to me causes the hook to be immediately pulled to the corner of the fishes mouth and truly results in a good hookset BEFORE we even pick up the rod.Same on just a bottom pickup.Blues tend to hit hard in any case and usually hook themselves.Flats are a little more subtle.I like a stiffer tip which pulls the hook to the corner immediately.I feel softer tips and rods provide a slingshot effect and if the fish feels this pressure it is liable to open its mouth either to get a better grip or release the bait.The slingshot effect causes the bait to jump out of the fishes mouth.Please understand this is opinion with absolutely no science behind it. :smile2: :lol: :eek:oooh:

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    To me, kahles are very different than circles when setting the hook. With kahles, once its obvious the cat has takent the bait, a good hook set works. Though, the fish often will hook himself. To set a circle that way may yank it out of the mouth. I too mostly drift fish and use kahles with my carolina rigged rods. But, with rods that have a float, I often use circles. That way, I can pay closer attention to the bottom rigs and let the fish hook themselves on float rigs. With the float rigs, I try to let the catfish hook themselves, waiting until a good bend is in the rod before reeling in, but with no hook set. Actually, when using a float, I don't believe it makes much difference whether the action is soft or not.

6. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    I don't know if anyone else is like me but I have a HARD time resisting the urge to immediately grab rod and set hook!

when I was surf fishing and fishing off a pier with the circle hooks, I was holding the rod so, unlike what I knew I was supposed to do (wait), I gave a mild hook set motion (just not a strong/hard pull) immediatly when I felt the strike and with about a 90% hookup ratio. Whith the bank fishing, I'll have the rods just setting there so by the time I notice a strike, make my way to the rod and GENTLY set hook they may very well be already hooked good. So far, I've been able to control myself and not set the hook hard, but I havn't been able to just watch as the rod fully loads. Just can't do it! Something clicks in my brain and I'm like a dog when you pull out his favorite treat (Only I don't run in circles LOL).

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Prefer A Soft Flexible Tip.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I prefer a stiffer tip.

9. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i use a soft flex with a mild drag when i fish for blues from the shore and with the way they hit they set the hooks there selves. my buddy i fish with all his rods have stiff flexs and he sets the drag the same as me but with the stiff tip i have seen a couple of his rods snap when a big blue nails the bait, but it is just the same they hook their selves with either of the rod flexs usin circle hooks. i just learned by fishing with him that having to replace rods gets expensive so thats why i prefer softer tips.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I only use them when grift fishing and have a stiff tip and reel locked down.