Social Security is a ripoff

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by janzaldo, Oct 28, 2008.

1. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi folkes I hope all is well. I am little pissed off. My mom and dad got a letter from the Social Security office telling them they are discontinuing there Social Security money. The reason, is because they have more than 3000 dollard in there savings account. My Dad worked for more than fourty years and always paid into Social Security. Now that he is retired because he did what was tought to him and saved his money he and my mom are being penalized! My dad recentaly caught the West Nile Virus and almost died. He cannot even walk! He is currently living in a skilled nursing facility where he is getting the help he needs. but at a cost of 4,600 dollars a month. Medicare only paid for 21 days and my dad is responsible for the rest. He is going to need long term care.
    I told my mom we are going to appeal this decsion hope my mom and dad prevail.
    I for one am glad my employer(County of Los Angeles does not take away from my check, instead I put that money int an Ira
    Sorry for the long post just neede to get it off my chest. Thank you for your time.

Jaime

2. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Sorry to here about your dads health . S.S. doesn't pay for long term nursing home care ,your parents are responsible if they have the money to do it .Many older people put thier house and money in thier childrens name to affoid having to pay .It's a unfair loophole . Ithink it has to be done 3-5 years in advance . Consult with your family attorney . It used to be that you could also put 5 thousand in a burial fund . Its been a long time since my father was in a nursing home and the laws change from state to state Go to your families attorney . Best of luck. jay jay

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is your father getting S.S. are disability. If it is disabilty you can only have 1,500.00 Ithink that is what I was told and if you are drawing S.S. I dont't think it matters what u have because that is yours

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Must be a misunderstanding.

There is NO limit on the amount one has in savings as far as drawing full Social Security benefits.

There is NO limit on what a person has in savings as far as drawing Social Security disability benefits.

But both the above may change if Hussein Obama is elected.

There is a limit on SS paying for nursing home benefits.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    There is NO limit on what a person has in savings as far as drawing Social Security disability benefits.

actually you are wrong on disability you can have no more than 1500 in the bank and your vehicle can only be about the same ss is different but not disability i was on it for a while and i have helped people with other diabilitys when i worked for a company that took care of people and guess what the same applied to them as well
    thank you and have a nice day
    p.s. obama has nothing to do with it my friend

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    ??

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    there is something you can do have your family take the money out of the bank or go on a shopping spree
    when i woked with people with disabilities we did it all the time so they could continue to get benifits
    very touchy subject
    well hope everything goes well
    and contact a private org.that helps people with disabilities maybe they will help

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We know several retired people that have put all their assets in their children's name. This way if they require long term nursing home it will be paid by SS. May not seem right but it's legal if its done 3 years before.

Again, There is NO limit on savings as for SS monthly benefits, same for disability benefits, only for long term care nursing home care.
    Anyone that doesn't believe me can call SS. :wink:

And I said, IF Obama is elected, people with savings may lose SS benefits. That is another way to take from those that have it and give to those that don't have it. :sad2:

9. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    we need Micain are we are in trouble. thanks sam davis

10. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    WELL MY FATHER-IN - LAW WAS ON SOCIAL SECURITY FOR 27 YEARS .
    PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR AT THE YOUNG AGE OF 92. HAD PROPERTY AND A GOOD CHUNK IN THE BANK, WE THOUGHT THE LAST YEAR OF HIS LIFE WE WAS GOING TO HAVE TO PUT HIM IN A NURSING HOME.
    WE TALKED TO AN ATTORNEY COST A COUPLE THOUSAND , BUT HIS MONEY AND EVERYTHING WAS WHERE THE GOVT, COULD NOT GET IT.

I AGREE WITH ATEAMFISHERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOU ARE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM "

11. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    ......... That's all I have to say about that. Otherwise I'll probably get in trouble with the staff...

12. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Long turn care is paid by Medicaid not SS. Medicaid is a State and federal program that is not connected to Social Security.My mother was on it for the last years of her life. One does not need to be on Social Security to get it. you have to have a need for long term care, one can get it at any age as Long as you meet the guidelines.

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry to say that does not apply to disability nor S.S . It does appyl to S.S.I. And fother more you can make up to 900. a mounth on disability and here is a # you can call 1-800-633-4227

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for your replies folkes. Hi Dale my dad was recieving Medicarebut it was discontinued after 21 days that is the reason my dad is paying 4,600 a month. Hi Dayton, the letter my parents got is in plain English, we are discontinuing your SS due to you and your spouse having an eccess of 3000 dollars in available assets.
    I am goint to talk to my dad and mom to see how they want to handle this. In this case I am very ignorant how SS works. I am going to convince them to hire an attorney.
    It's been very hard for my family especially me seeing my dad in hi condition where he cannot take care of himself. I never got involved with my dad's finance but I am having to take care of his buisness I have been learning though.

Jaime

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    you are right on the 900 a month
    i have it all on paper in front of me what i could and could not do do to my injury
    further more i am no longer on it as i felt it was a cop out and i could still make my own money
    ss disability is what i was recieving