soap

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by whisker maniac, Dec 5, 2007.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    have any of you catfishermen tried using Ivory soap on your lines?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    soap will work but its a slow biting bait.If your going to use it get comfortable you might be there awhile.And i would use other poles and put other kinds of bait on them to or you might be in for a rough day.But yes it will catch fish.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No... I cant say that I've ever used soap to try and catch a fish. Truthfully with such good smelling baits like skipjack and the various bloodbaits on the market, why use something smelly like soap?

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I tryed some on a trot line one time and didn't catch a durn thing. I guess I don't have any faith in it.
    I have heard of people catching them on it tho.

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Kevin,

First off Welcome to the Boc. Glad you decided to join us here. Now for your answer:

Many Folks use Soap on their Trotlines. Some use Ivory, and some like myself, use Zote soap. Zote soap is a Mexican soap and it's much easier to cut into bait size chunks.

It is also inexpensive and clean to use. Another great thing about using soap is, only Catfish will bite it. Never had a Gar or Turtle on soap.

Noe Soap is a very slow bite bait, meaning it has to be out for quite some time so the soap can start leaving a oily trail. That is what attracts Catfish. You would be wasting your time trying to use soap on rod& reels.

There are many articles about soap and all type of baits used in the Boc library. Check it out as it is full of some great information.. Once again, Welcome to the Boc where we are more than just Fishermen, we are Family..

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    I mostly use the Zote soap also, its a little harder to find here but I still can get it here some of the time. My father in law uses nothing but Ivory soap and he uses a cheese slicer to cut it. Works pretty good.

These two soaps work because the Ivory soap is made with 50% animal fatty acids, and the Zote is made with 66%. The soaps work well in the spring but once it really starts getting hot it doesn't seem to work very well. I have had luck on both. You can also melt the soap down and add other scents to it if you like but I find it is usually not needed. The soap works in both lakes or rivers. I use it only on trotlines cause that's the way I catfish mostly.

7. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    And about not catching gar or turtle your right you won't catch nothing else but catfish and most of the time you will only catch channel cat, blue, and maybe a flathead or two. Usually you won't even catch mud cats on it.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used Ivory with fair results. There are lots of other baits that work better. If you want a nice clean bait that stays on the hook really well, try salt pork. Chitlings are messy, but you can easily add different flavorings to them, such as garlic, anise, cheese, or shrimp.

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sound's good, but I think my fishin' buddy is allergic to soap (and water).

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's all right to have a fishing buddy who's allergic to soap, but one that's allergic to water? Nope. He'd have to do all his fishing in front of the TV. I need fishing buddies who will kick my lazy a$$ to get me out on the water.