Soap

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by easttexcowboy55, Oct 10, 2007.

1. easttexcowboy55

easttexcowboy55 New Member

Does anyone fish with Zote soap.

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I h ave never heard of Zote soap...what exactly is it???

3. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    I looked everywhere for this soap and had finally found it at wally world by the liquid detergent (for clothes)...it was a dud around here. I baited up 3-400 hooks when I tried it and nothing but a bubble trail from where my trotline was. It wasn't hard to find even though it was ran in a 56' hole. The next day I baited with a mix of live crawfish and small perch and tore them up!

4. slab-happy

slab-happy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Same here, I have never heard of it. Do you wash your boat or your hands with it?

5. slab-happy

slab-happy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Really I'm sorry, I have never heard of anybody using soap for bait. Myself I am real careful not to get anything on my gear or my hands such as: gas, bug spray, aftershave, soap, etc...before fishing. This is one reason why I had bought a couple Therma cells for the mosquitos. Would this be a concoction they use at pay lakes. Last time I have been to a pay lake everybody was mixing up all types of baches of something used for bait. Myself, I used chicken livers and did'nt catch anything.

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Gary,

Yes Sir, I use Zote soap. I prefer the pink Zote over the white as it seems to attract more fish. I use Zote ONLY on my Trotlines as it is a very slow bite bait, and you would be wasting your time trying to use it on R&R.

Zote leaves a oily trail that the Catfish will follow and find the bait. I always have good luck using Zote soap, and it's a very cheap bait too. Plus the fact that it's also a clean bait.

Cut the Bar of Zote into equal chunks and it's plenty to put on a hook. Normally around a 3/4" chunk. If you will take a look in the Boc library you will find several threads talking about Zote soap and many others.

Be sure and keep the Zote dry and out of direct sunlight as much as possible to keep it from getting hard and crumbly...Good Luck... I fish Sam Rayburn lake and have good luck there...

7. Cornmeal and Catfish

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Bud1110,

I used the soap just like you use it. I even left it out once for three days.
    I think it just may be the cats in the river I fish. I've had years where crawfish, perch, goldfish, liver, chicken hearts, or anything else on a trotline wouldn't catch them. Those few years I noticed large black locust on the banks of the river. They worked when nothing else would, and I caught lots of cats when many other trot runners gave up.
    Maybe if I would have tried Zote during those times?

Attached Files:

8. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Tray,

Not all baits work equally well in all waters. What works for me and the water I fish in, may not work for you. You just gotta try different baits and hope they will bite on something you are offering them on that day. I always catch fish with my Zote soap, but then, I fish in a Reservoir. You might try adding some garlic or something like that to help attract the fish.

I have found that only Catfish, mainly Channels, some Blues, bite on this bait. That's one reason I use it as it targets just what I'm after. Eater size is mainly what bites Zote, although, I have caught some around 9#'s on it before. You can never have too much bait when going fishing.

Warm water slows down the bite here, and maybe that's the case where you fish. Good Luck..

9. Cornmeal and Catfish

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Bud,
    I was just going through my fishing closet and ran into 4 bars of pink zote soap. If you pm me an address I'll send them to you. I'm not going to use them and would like someone who would to have them.

10. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    Zoat soap is a mexican (no disrespect intended) that is in a bar form that is pliable. Quite a few guys use it here in east Texas. You can buy it at alot of the fishing outfits. I have never used it but they say it works.

11. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    sorry I need to correct my last post ---it is a mexican made/style SOAP