"Soap" Yes or No

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TexasTerry, May 30, 2008.

1. TexasTerry

TexasTerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have any of you out there used soap & what was your experience?

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have used Zote soap on trot lines with success. On the homemade bait thread, look on the sure bite one. I made some and had good luck with it.

The good thing about Zote soap is, its cheap---89 cents a bar, cuts real nice, and they are big bars, like the old Fells Napta soap bars. You get a lot of 1 inch cubes out of a bar.

3. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Zote soap works good. Good bait to go to when your loosing a lot of bait to non-target fish like gar and bream. Never caught anything but cats on it.

4. texasnascarfan200

texasnascarfan200 New Member

State:
    texas
    where do you get this fishing soap i had heard ivory soap worked a long time ago

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've had good luck using soap on trotlines back in Missouri, but never here in FL. It always seemed to be a "Slow" bite bait:roll_eyes:

HTH, Elliot

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Zote soap is a Mexican soap. You will find it in any little Mexican grocery store. While your in there check out the prices. Here in our little Mexican Grocery store, thier produce is cheaper than the big stores. I like getting my halipeno peppers and cillatra and home made bread there.

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use Zote soap and have had much success with it. I have also used Ivory and done well with it. I think the Ivory works best when you need to keep your bait up off the bottom. The Ivory soap is best for that because it floats.
    The Ivory soap is more brittle to try and cut. To cut the Ivory soap get yourself a cheap cheese slicer or a piece of mono or some dental floss.

The Zote soap is a mexican laundry detergent soap. You will find it with the laundry detergeants not next to the regular bar soaps. The Zote soap is waxier and almost pliable. You can cut it easily with a thin bladed knife like a small paring knife or a small fillet knife.

The soaps work because they are made of animal fatty acids. The Zote soap is made up of 66% animal fatty acids and the Ivory is made up of 50% animal fatty acids.

I mostly use the Zote soap now mostly just cause it is easier to handle, cut and put on the hook. My father in law strictly uses Ivory and swears by it. He says the Ivory works better than the Zote.

We don't mix anything with the soap although I know many people do. There are many recipes to mix the soap with and you will find several in the member library.

I don't feel like the soap works all that well after the water really warms up. I think it melts too fast and disperses the scent so vastly that the fish won't mess with it.

I like using the soap mainly because when you are after cats that is all you are gonna catch. You won't catch any gar, bass, or turtles only cats.

Hope this helps ya out. Good luck.

8. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky

couple stupid questions. how do you hook it and what kind of set up do you use it on?

9. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    I just cut it into cubes and put it right on the hook. I only use the soap on trotlines as it is a slower bait than cut bait or live bait.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't fish with it, but since so many have success with it, I keep a bar of Ivory in my box for hand washing to eliminate foreign smells like gasoline and tobacco.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    soap? heck no! bath time is the worst day of the year for me... one of these times my wife is going to fool around and wash off my protective crust! :tounge_out:

12. Motormaker

Motormaker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have got to try that. It seems like it would make its own chum trail as it melts.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Zote are you guys using the pink bar, cause I have not gotten a bite off of it?

14. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    yes I use the pink bar. I haven't had any luck on the white one. Don't know why the Ivory soap is white.

Just remember the soap is a slow bite and best only on limb lines, yo yo's, and trotlines. I like to use it on trotlines best.

15. TexasTerry

TexasTerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well,so far i've got some interesting comments on the use of soap. Runnin some lines on the brazos on my days off, i'm gonna give it a try on a line. My uncle talked about using ivory before too.

16. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i do not know what part of texas you live ,but H E B carries it ,it's in the landury soap dept

17. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    I make bath soaps as a hobby. Maybe I should try making a catfishing soap. If I do I will post my results and if it works offer a free sample to everyone that would want it. You wouldhave to pay the dollar or 2 for the shipping. Ok im off to make soap now:roll_eyes:

18. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i've used the ivory soap on trotlines and have caught a lot of fish, but nothing real big. mainly up to around 5 lbs. i think all of the fish that i caught were channels and i tried it on a rod and reel but it dont work fast enough for me. but works good on trotlines