Soap Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by 45CATFISH, Mar 13, 2008.

1. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    LONG WHISKERS TO YA'LL.DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET QUALITY SOAPBAIT ?AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH IT?:confused2:

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont use it myself but if you will pm whisker maniac he is a firm beleiver in soap and uses it a lot.

3. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Zote soap can be purchased at Brookshires. It is a Mexican soap. It is pink. Works good on trotlines. Bream, gar, turtles, etc. will not knock it off. Blues and channel cats only. I've used it on the Red River and Lake Earling.

4. Bungarian

Bungarian New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We used to fish with Ivory soap.

5. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    THANK'S FELLOW'S ONE QUESTION. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ZOTE SOAP OR BROOKSHIRES.I LIVE AROUND BREAUX BRIDGE,LA ANY KNOWLEDGE OF WHERE I CAN GET THIS SOAP AROUND HERE.(DEPARTMENT STORE,FEED STORE,BAIT SHOP?)THANK'S AGAIN LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING THIS ON LINES!!!

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    around here we find zote soap at brookshires but don't look for it in your stores in the soap section. Look for it with the laundry detergeants. It is a bar soap that is a laundry detergeant. That maybe why your not finding it. The reason the soap works is because it is made of 66% animal fatty acids. Ivory soap (the white kind) is made of 50% animal fatty acids and works good too, but, you have to cut up the Ivory with a cheese slicer or a piece of dental floss. You cannot cut it up with a knife cause it will break apart on you. The Zote is waxer and softer and you can cut it with a knife. You can also doctor the soap up if ya like or use it plain. There are many different methods for doctoring the soap and you will find all the recipes for that in the memger library, but , the easiest method is to just sprinkle some garlic powder on the chunks you cut up before you go out. Hope this helps. Good luck.

7. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    THANK'S WHISKER MANIAC,VERY HELPFUL:big_smile:

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i seen a web site, can't really rember the name but they had some redneck soap bait for sale. i'll see if i can find it.

9. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    THANK'S HOPE YOU CAN FIND THAT LINK

10. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    There is a bait shop in Jasper, Tx that sells Catalpa soap bait. It does work very well. I can not remember the exact name of the shop but if you are interested you can call around Jasper to the bait shops or I can hunt the name and number down for you, let me know on here. A lady runs the shop and she will mail it to you.
    Good fishing
    Joseph

11. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    CATALPA SOAP SOUNDS GREAT IF YOU RUN ACROSS THERE NAME OR NUMBER LET ME KNOW. I WOULD LOVE TO TRY IT OUT.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I tried the pink zote a few times last summer, and not one bite came my way.

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I found some one time in Tennesse it was made out of pig lar and other stuff it was really good cat bait.

14. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    The soap works best in the spring to early summer. Once it the water really warms up it doesn't do too good because it melts too fast.

15. LouisianaFishNut

LouisianaFishNut New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was reading on here about the Zote soap, so I gave it a shot this weekend. Didn't have any luck either, but we only had minimal luck with crawlers and shiners so it may have been bad timing. I might give it another shot sometime. Caught about 20 small channel cats (7" - 10") on Caddo lake this weekend and a lot of them still had eggs. Guess the spawn isn't quite over yet.
    Scott

16. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    I fish the Zote soap all the time when I'm trotlining. My father in law uses only Ivory soap. We both catch fish on the soaps all the time in the spring and early summer but we stop about the first or second wk in june.

The soap is a slower bite than conventional baits. But, for me, the advantages are good. No sticky stinky stink bait. :smile2: The soap will only attract catfish. You won't catch any trash fish or turtles on the soap. These are the reasons I like using soap. I still can catch alot of fish on it. I will only catch the type of fish that I am targeting. And I come back to the bank with clean hands.:big_smile:

I only use the soap when I am trotlining and going after fish that I plan to keep for the freezer. When rod and reel fishing for bigger fish I use cut bait or whole fish as bait or for smaller fish on rod and reel I use worms or chicken livers.

17. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    TRY SOME GOOD OLD FAT BACK WITH GARLIC ON IT WORKS GOOD FOR ME , MAKE SURE THE WATER TEMP IS 70 AND ABOVE

GOOD LUCK FISHING

18. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    recently I tried bacon with garlic powder on it. Thought it was gonna do good caught a cat right off the bat.:big_smile: But after awhile, I caught more turtles on it than I did cats. I went back to livers:eek:oooh: