Soap bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by dragon86, Jul 15, 2007.

1. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    i just recently heard about using ivory soap as bait on jugs and trot lines so i started thinking about it and came up with a few ideas.

first, was just to melt down 4 bars of ivory soap in a sauce pan. then i added some water to help softing it so it doesn't crumble when put on to a hook. then i added half a pound of animal lard. after i had it all melted down and mixed togather i poured it into a cooky sheet pan and let set for a day or so.

on the second batch i did the same thing but i mixed in some chicken liver blood in before i poured it into the cooky sheet.

i've used it on some jugs in my pond and caught about 7 catfish for about 1-5lbs but have yet to use it on a lake or anything.

this is a slow time of bait so it might not be to good for using on rod and reels but seems to be just right for jugs and trot lines.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve thanks for sharing your bait idea. Taking an idea and making it work is part of the fun of catfishing.:wink:

3. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    thanks mickey

i had some one i know tell that i should trie bacon grease instead of lard in the mixture i havn't tried it yet but it sounds like an idea.

going to trie to mix some bacon grease in with some dough bait i'm going to make later on to see if it willl work but not for sure on it i think the combination of the corn and oat dough mixed with the grease might work though.