Soap Bait for Catfish

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by agcat, Feb 8, 2006.

1. agcat

agcat New Member

State:
    texas
    The bait soap folks use; home made or store bought?

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I use Store bought Zote soap myself. I prefer the pink Zote as it seems to catch more fish than the white does.

I only use soap on Trot lines, and have good luck with it. The thing to remember about using soap is that it's a slow bite bait.. Meaning it has to be out for quite a spell before you start catching fish on it.

Soap just doesn't work well on Rod & Reel's. There are a few thing's I like about using soap for bait.

1. clean to use

2. cheap bait

3. Turtles & Gar don't like it

Don't expect to catch Big fish with this bait. I have caught some up to 9#'s on it, but thats pretty rare. Mostly around 1.5 to 5#'s caught.

Not all bait works in all waters, so you just have to try it to see if it works for you.....

3. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where do you get ZOTE soap at?

4. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    You can find Zote soap at any Mexican grocery store, like HEB..

We also have a Grocery chain of stores here called Brookshire Brothers, and they handle Zote soap. Some bait shops also carry it...

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    ok dumb question. What is soap bait??? thanks

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Your cheaper soaps are made with animal fats, and will catch catfish. Also, for people who make their own soap, they can make it with a much higher percentage of animal fat, such as bacon grease, to make the soap even more attractive to catfish. Some of these soaps are: Ivory, P&G, and Zote. They generally produce what is often called a 'slow bite', meaning that the catfish aren't real quick to bite it; so, it's generally only used on trotlines. The main advantages are that it's not expensive, it's clean, and nothing will bite on it but catfish. I've used it in the past, and I've got some right now that I tried adding some bacon grease to, but I have more faith in something like chitlings or salt pork, which stay on the hook extremely well.

7. ejones1961

ejones1961 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I belive that zote soap is about 60% animal fats.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Guy that lives a few houses down on a lake where my Great Aunt's house is caught a 20lbs channel on zote soap a few years ago.

9. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I had an Uncle that used Ivory and I thought he was nuts until I seen it work.

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    made my own batch of lye soap couple years ago n didnt do much good with it fishin, but I shower with it n it dang sure gets ya clean lol.

11. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ok,I thought i had used about everthing there is but soap i have not.How do you keep it or put it on the hook it crumples when i tried and i tried the ivory soap.I soaked it in water for a while and it didnt help much. Gave up when stuck hook in finger 3 times.:confused:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ok. For Ivory (and probably Zote, too) you warm the bar of soap. You can lay it out in the hot sun, set it in a warm (not hot) oven, or use the microwave. Be careful! Especially with the microwave. The soap can heat up so rapidly that it can severely burn you. All you want to do is get it so that it feels warm when you close your hand on it. My favorite way of cutting the soap has always been a wire cheese cutter, but you can use small diameter mono or braided superline. Seems like the superline would work very well. Anyway, use your cutter to cut pieces off the sides or ends that are about 3/8" thick. Now cut the slabs into squares that are still 3/8" thick; if that doesn't work out even for the slab, you can narrow down the cuts a bit, rather than making them wider. Take one of the hooks you plan to use with the soap and use it to pick a drill bit. You want a drill bit that's a little smaller than the thickness between the point of the barb and the other side of the hook. The idea is to have a hole that's large enough to let the hook go through without breaking the soap, but small enough that the barb is going to have to cut through the soap as it goes through the hole. That will keep the soap from washing off the hook. Now take the drill bit between your fingers and rotate it to drill a hole through the bait-sized piece of soap. I like to drill it towards an edge, but not so close that it will easily break out.

If you'll melt your Ivory soap and add some bacon grease, it will soften it enough that you can mold it onto a hook like a doughball. Or, you can simply let it soak into pieces of loofa while it's melted. That will stay on forever, and take almost that long to wash out all the soap.

13. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    catfish connection has some soap bait epecialy made for catfishing i dont live to far from cat fish connection and i saw it there when i went to get my berkley glowstick rod

14. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with the Zote endorsement. This is my second year using it. I fish anchored jugs for the most part. It is my 2nd favorite bait. NOTHING BEATS LEECHES. But as it gets deeper into the summer, it becomes Goldfish and bluegill for flattys season.

15. m.a.p.

m.a.p. New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I Was Fishing Yesterday And Some Guys By Me Were Fishing With Ivory Soap. It Was The First Time I've Ever Heard Of Using Soap For Bait. I Didn't See Them Catch Fish With It I Guess That Is Why It Is Better For Trot Lines.

16. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    i seen a guy fishin next to me at this lake and he was catching 2#-3# catfish every half an hour or so on zote soap.

17. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

Ive been thinking and i am about to create a new soap bait im am really hopeing that it ends up with good results.

18. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The Zote soap is soft enough you can put it on a hook without it breaking. Recently tested it against cottonseed cake & nightcrawlers on limb lines and it was pretty much a 3 way tie.:roll_eyes:

19. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i use any kind of soap and get limited success though i do catch them. any grocery bought soap will work and it is a very very slow to catch on them. i think you should leave the bait out until gone and keep putting more out that way they get used to it as a food source

20. LanceRomance

LanceRomance New Member

State:
    IL