Soaking Trotline Drops?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by vetrock, May 3, 2009.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I've heard of several recipes of various oils to soak your trotline drops in prior to fishing, but would like some of your tricks. I don't want to contaminate the river with motor oil, but I have heard of anis oil, banana oil, as well as wheat and flour mixed in.

What is your recipe??

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i hope you get some info i might try it also

3. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :confused2: I'm not sure of the reasoning. You've sure got my interest though.

I personally use dacron cause you can get a lot of strength out of a small diameter. You can thread 130 pound test through a regular kahle hook easily, and it holds knots really well.

Vector

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i was a lot younger my grand dad soaked his trot lines in beef or hog blood then let it dry hard as a rock.he said it worked like a chum and lured the cats in to where they could find the bait real easy.course we was fishing a slow moving river.

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've never heard of doing that.
    I've always used the best bait I could find and let her rip.LOL

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    When we were fishing them for a living and to eat. We soaked the whole line in strawberry cool-aid. Works great the ones that were left in this to turn a red color out fished the white ones. '
    But anything that takes the new smell and white off the line helps. AS an older line would not catch new trot lines. Also you can take nutmeg or any flavoring and soak the bait or dropper line in it. Works also.
    Pete

7. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Reading this caught my attention as my trot lining buddy and I were just talking about that Friday night, I think we are gonna try and soak a couple in fish oil, and see what happens, of course you are gonna have to use it in a slower moving section of river (if you fish on the river)

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    When I was a kid I have seen people fish a doddle line. Some people
    called it an oil line. It was a trotline with hooks 3'' a part and 3" drops.
    The line was soaked in a mixture of oil of anise and automatic transmission
    fluid. The hooks would not be baited, the cats were drawn to the scent
    and would foul hook themselves rubbing the line.

9. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I read a thread about this last year on here, but couldn't find it. Keep the ideas coming!!

10. REBELYELL1861

REBELYELL1861 New Member

State:
    TX
    i thought every ond id this

my grandad said if ur gonna use a trotline always ALWAYS soak it in blood. any blood. when it came time to butcher some chickens he would use a milk bucket ( u know the galvanized tin bucket) and alot of small trautline rope, just the rope maby 500ft spool. he would drop the whole spool into the bucke and when he chopped the head off he would drop the
    chicken(s) in the bucket so that the blood would soak the spool.

11. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I've been reading a lot about this, and am formulating my own concoction. Still looking for more first hand accounts on here. Thanks in advance!

12. YellCounty Catfisher

YellCounty Catfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My father-in-law always used anise oil on his lines.:wink: