Soaking Lawn for Night Crawlers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Spencer_Blanton, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I would like to pick up several dozen night crawlers, but the rain is not cooperating. I have heard of soaking the lawn with a hose. I've also heard of adding dishsoap to do even better.

First, does this work? Second, how long should I soak? Third, what time of day should I soak? Forth and finally, how long after I turn the water off will it be before I should start seeing them surface?

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have heard the soap works ,but have not tried it , and I would guess you would have to soak your yard like a good rain storm would .
    Brian

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've soaked my yard before with the hose and it works great here.My back yard is full of crawlers.Never heard of the dish soap thing.I soaked mine for abt 5-10 minutes or so,just let the ground get pretty wet.I soak mine a few minutes before dark and then abt dark go out with a flashlight and start grabbing them.Mine usually start coming out right at dark.
    Good Luck with them,let us know how ya did.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its also best to find an area with little grass as well. if you have a dog, or know someone who has one and it runs the yard get some there! for some reason all the poo and pee that filters into the ground make for the best nightcrawlers, they must have a different scent. just watch out for the "Landmines":eek:oooh:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Maybe thats why my back yard is so full of them.I've got 2 dogs in my back yard and have lots of crawlers.Yep,the 'landmines' can be treacherous,just watch where you step.