soaking blugill chunks

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by nercoj6, Oct 8, 2005.

1. nercoj6

nercoj6 New Member

State:
    Salisbury
    I caught my largest channel cat "15lb" on the belly section of bluegill soaked in chicken liver juice. I'm thinking of catching a bunch of bluegill and chopping them up in 3 inch pieces, buying 3 tubs of chicken liver, mix, and chill overnight. Then use the liver and bluegill as bait. Antone ever try something like this?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have never tried that,but hey, if it works. go for it :D

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    i have cut up carp into 2' chunks and let stand it chicken liver for sometimes day . works just like cut bait channels love it gills should work the same.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive never done that with bluegill but am sure it will work. When I run out of liver I sometimes soak nightcrawlers or plain chicken breast and it works good. :D

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know why, but while I've caught channels on cut bluegill, I've never caught a blue on that bait, even though they hit live bream pretty well. I didn't add any type of scent to the bluegill, and that could make a difference.

6. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I have soaked cut bait gills in a mix of water garlic powder and some crisco or lard and have had good luck catching eater channels or bullheads.Im just not that big of fan of using gills as cut bait i have had better luck using gills live for Flatheads or Blues.I like using shad,skipjacks,carp,suckers for cut bait.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Livein in a state that bucks rite up against the ocean,there are alot of bait attractents that are used by the salt water fishin boys. Bunker and shedder oil bein 2 of the most popular. I myself have soaked many of different kinds of cut bait in the shedder oil. It works great on the channels. Don't do it that often cause its a little pricey. Shedder oil is one of the things I ask for at christmas and my birthday. LOL!

8. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In the old forum I read a post where some guys used wd-40 (I think) as a chum. Has anyone every sprayed this on cut bait? I never have because I live on a small lake and everybody would see the oil slick and think I was polluting the Lake, but the thought about using it on cut bait has crossed my mind