So You Want To Try Chumming for Catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by William Sipes(Riverrat) on November 2, 2002

Chumming is the practice of using a substance to draw catfish from a general area to a specific area. Instead of you finding the catfish, the intention is for the catfish to find you.
    Chum can be a variety of substances, ranging from commercially made chum available at your local baitshop, to homemade concoctions, to commercial products not intended for chumming, but fitting the bill. (Like catfood or dogfood)
    The homemade varieties can consist of soured grains like wheat, milo, corn, beans etc.... or finely chopped baitfish, blood or just about anything that you think will draw them in.
    Personally, I use soured corn, which works amazingly well. And as a by product, it also draws in baitfish. After throwing out a scoop of chum, a well placed throw of your castnet can get you enough bait to last you through several hours of catfishing.
    Most, if not all of everything I have read about chumming mentions it being used for channel and blue cats. But since it draws in the baitfish, a lively shad or bluegill hooked and thrown back out near the chummed area could be just the thing for flatheads also. When a feeding frenzy of baitfish is happening, the predators won't be far behind. So, in my opinion, chumming shouldn't be considered a species restrictive method, and it has more uses than just drawing in catfish. If you have never tried chumming, I urge you to give it a shot, IF it is legal in your area. If it is legal, and you have not tried it, you are missing a valuable addition to your catfishing arsenal, especially as an aid in getting baitfish with a castnet.
    Riverrats Chum
    1) 5 gallon bucket (painted black to hold heat)
    2) 8 lbs of cracked corn
    3) 1 pkg of yeast
    4) 1 beer
    5) A loose fitting cover for the bucket.
    Pour the cracked corn, yeast and beer in the bucket and fill it with water so it is about 2 inches above the corn. Stir it up, cover loosely, and set it outside where it will get a large portion of sun. Stir it up every three to 4 days. (It will get a gray foam on top) You'll know it's ready when it stinks to high heaven and has maggots in it. This stuff works, I promise. Try it and I think you'll agree.
    Rat