So who caught it? :D

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by tritech, Jul 4, 2007.

1. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
  2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It's a bad picture, but after referring my refence books and photo achives online, I'd say that it's a pacu, not a piranha. Pacu also have some good chompers and overall better jaw stength as in nature they eat a lot of fallen fruits and nuts, not to mention carcasses found in the waterways.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, that is what it looks like to me as well. I have had these fish in aquariums several times over the years. The reason I bought them was, that they look very closley to a piranha, They are close cousins. The difference is in the teeth. A piranha has many pointed teeth and a Pacu has what looks like a solid band of teeth, much like the one in the Pic. There are other subtle differences in them but they can't be seen in this pic.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You guys are smart!!! :big_smile:

Someone mentioned that Pacu fish to me at the marina today, of course I had no clue what they were talking about. He said that most of those tropical fish that are released into lakes die in the winter because water temps drop so low. You guys probably know more than I do.

Someone asked me what I caught my 37 pound flathead on last night, and I told them a Piranha I caught in Wylie!!! :big_smile:

5. wake4est

wake4est New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is so weird. That could mess up the river bad if there were more.

6. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    Wow... Makes you think twice about going into the river/lake to cool off. Ya never know what might be out in the water. The pic from the link definately looks like a pacu as some earlier posters have said. In any case, being this was in N.C., piranha or pacu, I dont think it would have survived the winter.

7. CMJ

CMJ Guest

According to NCWRC it was a pacu , I still wouldn't want it to get ahold of me.....:smile2:

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    People are always catching weird and out of the ordinary fish these days b/c of the aquarium trade. Most of the so-called piranhas are Pacu's that are just misidentified. I caught a 2lb oscar in a retention pond here in Wilmington last year. There are also koi in the pond that would go over 10lbs. The only real risk with those kinds of tropical fish would be if they got into a power plant lake such as Sutton, Norman, Blues Creek, Hyco, ect. They could over winter in these places b/c of the hot water discharges, but they should have no effect in a river system. The water would get too cold for them to survive.