so when is the catfish season over

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohio-j, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ohio-j

ohio-j New Member

State:
    ohio
    what month do the cats stop bitin hear in OHIO

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I've caught them through the ice before.....but it seems that late October they get harder for me to catch. That may be because I spend most of my spare time in a tree stand though!

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    they never stop, just get harder to talk them into it.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Last time I fished last year before hanging up my rods was December in the Ohio R. I was wearing a short sleave shirt by noon that day. Flatties drop off end October usually. A Holloween flattie is special no matter what size it is. A thanksgiving flattie is what I want this year:wink:
    A Christmas flattie would be awesome.... lol

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Bill it sounds like yall need to make another trip down to santee or N.C. u might get that xmas flattie:wink::smile2:

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Never. flatties don't bite much through winter. My fav time to river fish is in the winter. Its when we catch most of our bruser blues. Here is a few pics to show you from last years winter trip to louisville. Ramps were iced over this particular day if that tells you anything!!! looked for a ramp all morn and finally found one safe enough to launch from. We fish for blues and channels all winter long. when water temp gets around 40 degrees the fishing gets tough for us but we know guys that want to see the temps in the mid 30's. Thats there fav for catching blues. Don't fall off the boat at this time of year though. all those clothes on and ice cold water id say your chances in current would be very slim.:wink: the fish in my avatar was also a winter blue. we fish year round. matter of fact we would rather fish winter than dog days of summer any day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  7. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Depends on water temps also. When the water temp starts to drop in Sept. and Oct., the flatheads go into feed mode to settle in for the winter. They also are looking for deeper water. Flatheads almost become inactive when the temp drops below 50 degrees. Do some scouting around. If you can find a warm water discharge that is associated with a deep hole you may be able to catch a flathead later in the year.

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    October is usually a slow down time altho I have caught some flats in some nasty weather fishing for saugeyes in January.

9. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Never ends for me. I dont catch as many in the winter but I always catch my bigger fish in the winter it seems for all species..

10. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    When do they STOP biting?..When did they START? AND WHO FORGOT TO TELL ME?

11. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO

Amen brother! When October comes around the words string and stick take on a whole new meaning. I am pumped for this season man! The only downside is that I have to travel back to the top of the state to do my hunting. It's all worth it.

I know that this is a catfishing thread; I love catfishing. When the spring rolls around, I'm ready to break out the gear. But boys, there's just something about climbing up in the tree stand with a finely tuned bow, a sharp stick, and a license to kill. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

I'm sorry to tell you this but the fish stopped biting last month. Time to put up your rods and wait till next year.

Just Kidding lol. They will hit ALL YEAROUND!

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Channels bite year round. Big Blues are the best bet for a hawg Nov-March. Flatties are there but summer fishing methods stop working around the 55-58 degree range. No more night time laying a live gill on a 3 foot edge waitin for him to come around. From what I have learned, you need to find a wintering hole, normally a spot in or near deep water with very little current. You need to lighten up your rod and bait size and it is NOT a good time for circle hooks. Cold water Flathead bites in my experience are almost inperceptible so you need to fish tight line and have a very whippy rod tip. They will just barely bend your tip. With very small live bait or cut bait and no current you can tell that something is going on. The trick is to recognize that the rod tip bending so very little is actually a bite. Then you need to lift the rod tip putting pressure on the hook and when you feel the weight of the fish, seating the hook at the jaw, set it and send the hook home. At this time of the year, the fish are stacked up so PLEASE use cpr methods. You can clean out a stretch of river for years if you keep them all.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've hands on "studied" the winter flathead thing in a controlled environment (my lake) I found it only works at the very tip edge of the wintering down process before they burrow down into the sand and mud, and you most definately gotta get that bait smack-dab on their bottom lip and wait for em to inhale it by accident. I think finding them in a river would take ALOT of work

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is over when the river freezes over solid.

16. ambassadeur

ambassadeur New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For channel cats, never. If you can find them you've got a shot at catching them.

For flatheads however; a study by Dr. Jason Vokoun of the University of Connecticut and three biologists from the Minnesota DNR showed that Flatheads rarely ate below 59 degrees, most stopped feeding at 52 degrees, and nothing was consumed at 45 degrees or below. So, once waters reach 59 degrees I would say that the flathead season is pretty much over.

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    the catfish stop biting when i stop fishing. so never:smile2:

18. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Amen to that!!! Just set up my last camera stand. 3 days!!!!!!:big_smile:

19. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Never !!! Fish Year Round !!! :smile2:

20. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It doesn't stop. As people have already said, they just get harder to find. Of course I speak of my experience on my local river (Tusc.) and local lakes MWCD.

Depending on how cold november is, I usually do pretty well through most of November. I've caught channels in the river year round, though in the winter months, they are usually few and far between.