Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I like the 94 knot, they have a knot tying contest and it won the last couple of years
the 94 comes from 94% of the line strength before breaking, I could show you how to try it but I can't describe it, everyone is given the same line and they pull test everyones knot

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
I also vote palomar....I know that there are other knots that have out performed it in these knot wars, but for simplicity, quickness, and strength it's the best for mono or braid.

On a side note, I have also done some crude testing for myself when I worked for a big box sporting goods store. Main line failure almost always occurs before the knot breaks.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I dont really have a favorite knot. I use 3 -4 different knots regularly and most are just by habit.
I learned how to tie knots as a kid, and never knew they had names.:laugh:
I agree with Josh that the line usually gives before the knot does. With mono anyway.
I use 30# and as long as the line is in good shape Id trust it with anything Ill ever catch.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
All hooks with an upturned eye get snelled with 40 pound mono.... most other connections get a palomar.

The palomar is hard to tie on one of the ends of a swivel; so there is usually a Trilene knot in there somewhere. It holds up well on braid also.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Trilene knot is my favorite, the first one I learned was improved clinch knot but I believe
in the double loop through the hook eye. Snelling is best by far, but I have trouble
doing that beside the lake. I can tie a Trilene knot by feel in the dark most of the time.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Palomar or a loop on most everything. Sometimes I'll use just a regular overhand knot when tying on a drop sinker so I can break free if it hangs up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.