So, what's the biggest blue cat you've caught in a cast net??

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TN Greg, Apr 24, 2009.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Nessie and I stuck 4 fish last night, but none ever topped what he caught in the stinking cast net. He managed a 15 and 25lber on back to back throws of the net -- so the bar was set fairly high.

Unfortunately, he caught just as many blue cats in the net as he did shad and goldeye, so we were limping around without a lot of bait.

I can't remember a more unproductive night as far as soaking bait in the water. This was not a well oiled machine and I'm not sure what the cause. To put it in perspective, that's not Nessie's head lamp or bibs -- so we were behind before we ever slipped the boat in the water.

Attached Files:

2. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Greg,
    Not sure what the cause was? Here are a few ideas:

1. You didn't bring bait from home in case we couldn't catch fresh bait
    2. You decided you would rather take a long boat ride than soak bait in the water.
    3. You decided to fish in a spot full of debris with the water going 4 different directions without a secure anchor.

These are just a few of my thoughts and I have more.:wink:

With all that said, it was amazing how we caught all those fish so quickly just to have that hole shut down completely.:confused2:

Nessie

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Or.....

1) You were so out of shape you could manage 1 throw every 5 minutes

2) Your skill was such that only 1 out 5 throws was halfway open (odds had to be 1,000,000 to 1 that you would actually open it up enough to fit around those cats)

3) Both of which ultimately lead to more time spent "not" catching bait and less time fishing

I bet we had less than 1hr of total soak time which ultimately you are to blame. When I benched Pearl for you, I never thought productivity could actually "decrease". I certainly underestimated the impact of you throwing the net.

4) You forgot your headlamp which forced me to operate in the dark....once again decreasing productivity.

The list could go on and on, but exposing our dirty laundry isn't going to help anything. We need solutions...

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    OFF WITH HIS HEAD, I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Sounds like my casting ability.Come to think of it,my prep for a trip,too.If it ain't in the boat from last time,it gets forgotten.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've only ever caught very small blues in my nets, with the biggest being around 5 pounds or so. Now, I have had some monster asians in there though :smile2:

7. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    As far as blues go amybe 5-6 lbs but I did catch 3 asains in one throw last year that were all 20-25lb. Good way to wreck a net for sure! Must have taken me 20 min. to get it straightened out after the asains were thrown on the bank:wink: