So what happens after during and after spawn?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Spencer_Blanton, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    All,

I've been so focused on targeting the prespawn that I've not really thought much about what happens during spawn and after.

Here's what I think I know. Validation and additional information would be good. Small bachelor males that couldn't score a nest are running loose now. Once the females drop their eggs, they will leave the nest. (Don't know when to expect this) The males will come completely off by August.

So how should I (we) be targeting fish over the next couple months? Large flats, deep hole, backwater? Daytime/night time? How will the spawn change what we have been doing?

Spencer

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Just keep on fishin' the biggest nastiest thickest logjams around. Doesn't matter so much if its in back waters or the main stream. As long as its blocking current. They'll be in them almost year round. Including spawn and post spawn. Here in my local river, they're right in the middle of spawn. So, that's generally where they're found right now. Hope this helps.

-Red

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I read something (was itin the last Catfish Insider?) that said that the cats stayed out of the backwaters during midsummer. Kind of makes sense, the water gets pretty hot and low in oxygen in the backwaters that time of year.

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey Red, what river do you fish the most? Around here, I don't think they have quite hit the spawn yet, but getting close! I caught a 10lb female lase weekend that was full of eggs. I could not bear to keep her with all those eggs, just kept thinking of all those future flats my daughter may get to catch one day!:big_smile:

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    From May through September I stay in fairly shallow swift moving water. My favorite hole is just below a riffle, I sit in the riffles where is is about 6" deep, and cast down to where the water is between waist and chest deep, moving shallower the later it gets. My dad used to say they stay in the moving water during the dog days of summer, because it is cooler and has more oxygen in it. This not only helps them, but holds more baitfish as well. Any jams or trees hanging in the water is just a bonus!