so what do "yins guys" think of the new flat set up?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by katplayer187, May 28, 2008.

1. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    2- mh 9' berkley glowstiks mounted with 2 penn 550SSg reels and 30lb power pro line... all together paid $326.16 all brand new at gander mt... that was the cheapest i could find the rods at 34.99 a piece didnt price the reels anywhere else but i was out to get the rods and liked the reels so what the hell!!!

2. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Youll like the rods. I have 4. You could have saved $4.05 @ catfish connection.Im not familiar with that particular reel.I do know Penn has a reputation that proceeds itself. Im a garcia /shimano guy myself.Take my advise and loose the power pro. As far as Im concerned braid is garbage it frays and gets weak way to easily. 30# is also to light for braid I think. I switched to berkley big game mono in electric green.I run 50# on my baitcasters and 30# on my spinning outfits. Its some great stuff

3. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    by the way welcome to the BOC

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Katplayer I worry 30lb might be to "light". Perhaps for channel cats it would be ok. Those are good reels from what I hear the SSm models are probably a better choice but they are more costly. Still I know a lot of the striper guys used them all the time. Welcome to the Boc by the way...

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

It looks like you are locked and loaded!

But just like Joe said, loose the braid. Try 30 or 40lb mono, you will thank me for it when your big fish runs against a rock.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great set up. Welcome to the Boc. this site is full of good info and great people.

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome from NE Florida... I agree on the braid. There is also no stretch to take the shock of a big fish if the drag is set too tight..

8. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I agree totaly im runnin 65lb PP but i run a 60lb big game mono leader their are to many rocks and snags in the 3 rivers to "hope" the braid will hold.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WELCOM TO THE B O C BROTHER, SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT SETUP, I DO NOT KNOW ABIOUT THE BREAD , I HAVE HEARD TO MAY BAD THINGS ABOUT IT, I WOULD CHANGE TO BERKELY CATFISH SOLOR GREEN IT IS A LITTLE BETTER THEN BIG GAME, ANYWAY GOOD LUCK FISHING

10. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    Welcome to the BOC! Sounds like you're ready to roll. Glowsticks are nice, I think you will like em, especially from shore. Can't comment on the reels. I'm an ABU only guy. As far as the line, I agree with most...if you are fishing rocks and debris like the Skuke has, braid will get eaten alive. I would consider a heavy mono shock leader/top shot to take the abuse of the rocks. I run 30lb BG solar on 6500s and 40lb BG solar on my 7000i. Good luck!

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First welcome to the BOC/SOC. Now as far as poles i have one (sofar) and really like it. Have it setup with a Penn 209 ,40# BG. Have never tried Braid so can't say one way or he other. What I might suggest is rigging one with Mono and one with Braid.Then you'll figure out for yourself which you like better. To each his own on Braid. Fishing partner of mine uses 80# Braid and seems to like it.
    Thats something you'll just have to figure out for your self.Good luck on the fishing no matter what you use.

Penn Reels are tough for sure.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have several of the Berkely Glowsticks. They are decent rods but I would be concerned about the braid line cutting the guides. I prefer mono myself. Ive had good luck using Berkely Big Game in 30# & 40# test. I like the solar green color and use clear for the leader. Let us know how your new outfits work out for you! :big_smile:

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome To The BOC. Nice setups. As for the power pro, I agree with most of the guys. It's no good for bank fishing, trust me I found out last year.:crazy:
    I like Stren Magnaflex myself. Good Luck with whatever you roll with. :wink:

14. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    :0a25:Katplayer welcome to the BOC. Sounds like a nice set up. I do agree with the other guys though, ditch the braid. And, take it from a Central PA guy, its youns, not yins.:smile2:

15. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have two 9` glow stiks but haven`t used them yet, I`ll put them to the test Monday night.

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was wondering what yins is or for that mattter youns????:eek:oooh:

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    What do they call us EASTSIDE guys?

What do they call the Westerners?

18. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    You guys got it all wrong its YUNZ

19. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    No matter how you say it or spell it one thing is for sure, "IT`S A BURGH THING"

20. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    consider this im 23 if any of you have any kids my age or younger ask them how the spell yins yunz younz and im sure yins willl come out on top.. what im sayin is thats the new age way..